PDA

View Full Version : A Game for all the Family

Top Bunk Tester
4th Jul 2005, 16:31
AIR MOVEMENTS - a game for 500 or more players

Air Movements is a game of skill played between teams selected from two groups of players. The first team, entitled the Army, is normally represented by men of an infantry battalion. The second team, called the Air Force, may be drawn from any section of the RAF Movements organisation. The game is played on a four-dimensional board (to be purchased separately) and involves the movement of the first team by the second team from one corner, the departure airfield, to another, the destination. Progress across the board will be subject to a series of handicaps.

Play is initiated by an external agency referred to as The Central Staffs. The unit to be moved and its destination will be selected at random to achieve maximum surprise to both teams and, regardless of the notice actually available, the two teams are to be informed only at the last possible moment for the move to be just possible.

Following that signal to start play, each team then endeavours to score points off each other until either a destination is reached, the the Air Force runs out of serviceable aircraft, or the Army runs out of players, or troops. The Army may also resign from the game by adapting the exercise to Salisbury Plain Training Area.

Points are awarded at each development in the play.

During basic planning, the Army scores 50 points if it can persuade the Air Force to emplane the unit at an airfield anywhere within a convenient distance from the unit's barracks. The score is doubled if this airfield is devoid of facilities and normally restricted to operating only light aircraft. The Air Force may likewise gain 50 points if the Army is forced to leave from RAF Lyneham or Brize Norton, and this score is increased for each mile by which the road distance the the Army must travel exceeds that of the subsequent air move.

Discrepancies

The payload quoted by the Army in planning should in no way resemble the freight actually delivered to the aircraft for loading. The manifest should be so worded, however, that no formal reproach is possible subsequently between parenting headquarters. Should the Air Force be able to identify any such discrepancy it will gain 20 points, of 50 if the following correspondence reaches brigadier or air commodore level.

When allocating aircraft to the airlift, the Air Force gains 20 points for each Tristar or Hercules it is permitted to task in the full passenger role and a bonus is awarded for flights over six hours long. This total score may be doubled if a Hercules is overtaken in flight by a VC10 carrying the Army unit's freight, vehicles and any Air Force personnel travelling to the same destination brought along for the ride.

Both the Army and Air Forceformations may issue conflicting orders at any stage prior to departure. Twenty points will be awarded for any major amendment so timed that the other team's internal administration is held to blame for ignorance of change of time, day or airfield of departure.

Experienced players will appreciate that the time of arrival of the Army unit at the airfield and time of departure of the aircraft will bear minimal resemblance to any published information. The Army may claim one point per minute by which this time interval is shortened; the Air Force may claim one point per minute by which the Army have been made to arrive unnecessarily early. Either side may make full use of such phrases as "all times Alfa" or "all times Zulu" discretely hidden as footnotes in any annex to the movement orders or any other correspondence only vaguely related to the game in progress.

Relashing

The Army will be permitted to load freight onto aircraft but the Air Force may, at their discretion, apply a handicap by insisting on responsibility for supervision. The Army is awarded 50 points for each aircraft fully loaded on time and about the aircraft captain is unable to uphold any valid reason for demanding reloading or relashing. This eventuality is, of course, exceptional. The Air Force will normally allocate troops to individual aircraft and so ensure that no chalk is ever coincident with any recognisable sub-unit; they may also claim one point for each man separated from his company.

Each soldier is to be briefed at platoon, company and battalion level as to his individual baggage allowance and articles to be included in cargo, freight or baggage. This information is to be repeated by the ATLO, Duty Movements Officer and aircraft Loadmasters. Ten points will be awarded to each soldier who manages to exceed his baggage allowance by at least 20 per cent and a further 10 points may be claimed by any man reaching the aircraft steps while openly carrying electronic equipment with the batteries fitted, butane gas refill, inflammable aerosol, etc.

Penalties

In the event of the aircraft becoming unserviceable en route, the Air Force will be penalised for overnight delays anywhere inconvenient such as Goose Bay, Benbecula or Macrihanish. Points will be recouped, however, if a crew manages to declare an aircraft unserviceable in Singapore, Florida or Hawaii. The Air Force may seek bonus points if in such an event they can persuade the Army to remain in the movements lounge all day on the pretext of imminent aircraft fault rectification and departure. Should the aircraft finally become serviceable, points to the Air Force are doubled if insufficient crew duty time remains and a further crew rest period is justified.

Further opportunities for scoring may occur with overnight delays where the Army is forced to use transit accommodation. The Air Force gains one point for every man assigned to sleep in a room that exceeds its normal capacity. Twenty points are gained if the Army unit commander and his batman are allocated to the same room. The Air Force gains a further bonus if, simultaneously, the crew can arrange accommodation at a hotel in a city centre; scoring will be increased with the hotel's star rating, to a maximum of 50 points for the local Hilton. Most crews will, of course, gain maximum points on this element of the game.

On arrival at the destination, both teams have equal opportunities for scoring. A prompt arrival at the planned destination is valued exceptionally highly at 50 points for the Air Force. The Armymay reduce this figure by one point for each piece of baggage or freight mislaid: this has proved to be an appropriate weighting to achieve fairness in the game. The Air Force can nevertheless claim 10 points if it can justify announcing that the Army unit commander's luggage was offloaded at Benbecula. An extra 20 points is added to the Air Force score if this is true.

Defies Analysis

On arrival of the last chalk, aggregate points are compared. Should the Air Force win, they may commence the return play with a 200 point bonus. Should the Army win, they may opt for a return by sea. In any event, the game will prove to one of a series. It will be perceived that the game is open to infinite variation. It is a war game played throughout time of peace. It is, however, deserving of a final accolade: it complete defies operational analysis, team management or resolution by computer. Can anyone say fairer than that?

MOSTAFA
4th Jul 2005, 16:49
You missed a bit out.

Somewhere Hot, Hot and ****ty. and you are very bored and bitter about doing your job there

Tanewha
4th Jul 2005, 17:23
Brilliant, well done.

StopStart
4th Jul 2005, 17:33
Amusing :) but a little old (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65912&highlight=air+movements)

:ok:

Top Bunk Tester
4th Jul 2005, 19:20
Firstly apologies to StopStart, hadn't seen it before on Prune, in fact apologies to all for reposting, I just found it amusing.

Mostafa.........Right sunshine listen up.........Yes it is hot and it is ****ty......hang on..... I just walked outside and took a large lungful of 'air'.....yep, it's ****ty. I am neither bored or bitter, I am now on the other side of the fence, I volunteered to come out here and am enjoying it immensely. I spent quite a few years on the AT fleet, as aircrew, and always had a 'can do' attitude, as did (do) all those around me. Just because we got (get) slagged off by the Green Machine doesn't mean we can't laugh at it, knowing we're doing the best possible job with the tools, manpower and funds available. In other words ....... wind your clucking neck in! Any further vitriol (from Mostafa) is welcomed, as it breaks up the day!:mad:

Edited for sp

MOSTAFA
4th Jul 2005, 19:39
"I volunteered to come out here and am enjoying it immensely"

Don't sound it!!! Sounded more like a rant again to me. Perhaps if you are just wiling away the hours you should have started your post that way.

But dont let me ruin it for you....Oh by the way I certainly aint your "Sunshine" Sunshine!!!!!

Top Bunk Tester
4th Jul 2005, 19:49
Which is possibly because you don't understand a little known phenomena within the forces know as BANTER, if you don't like like it or can't handle it then I suggest you go away sooner rather than later!

Incipient Sinner
5th Jul 2005, 06:04
I think Mostafa has kind of missed the point...

Top banter and very funny, I hadn't seen it before :D

MOSTAFA
5th Jul 2005, 07:25
Yes, I do.

xxx

Top Bunk Tester
5th Jul 2005, 08:04
A marvellously erudite retort, Sunshine. I accept the three kisses as an apology and thank you for it.....:O

The Rocket
5th Jul 2005, 10:05
And there was me thinking this thread was about incest :E

MOSTAFA
5th Jul 2005, 10:52
Told you once, must be something to do with it being hot and ****ty! Puddles the brain and turns whats probably a decent chap into something else. Please don't miscontrue any salutaion as anything other than what it was!

albatross
5th Jul 2005, 10:56
USN or USAF?
by Bob Norris

Bob Norris is a former Naval aviator who also did a 3 year exchange tour flying the F-15 Eagle. He is now an accomplished author of entertaining books about US Naval Aviation including "Check Six" and "Fly-Off". Check out his web site at <<http://www.bobnorris.com/>> <<http://www.bobnorris.com/>>. In response to a letter from an aspiring fighter pilot on which military academy to attend, Bob replied with the following:

12 February 2004

Young Man,

Congratulations on your selection to both the Naval and Air Force Academies.

Your goal of becoming a fighter pilot is impressive and a fine way to serve your country. As you requested, I'd be happy to share some insight into which service would be the best choice.

Each service has a distinctly different culture. You need to ask yourself "Which one am I more likely to thrive in?"

USAF Snapshot: The USAF is exceptionally well organized and well run. Their training programs are terrific. All pilots are groomed to meet high standards for knowledge and professionalism. Their aircraft are top-notch and extremely well maintained. Their facilities are excellent. Their enlisted personnel are the brightest and the best trained. The USAF is homogenous and macro. No matter where you go, you'll know what to expect, what is expected of you, and you'll be given the training & tools you need to meet those expectations. You will never be put in a situation over your head. Over a 20-year career, you will be home for most important family events. Your Mom would want you to be an Air Force pilot...so would your wife. Your Dad would want your sister to marry one.

Navy Snapshot: Aviators are part of the Navy, but so are Black shoes (surface warfare) and bubble heads (submariners). Furthermore, the Navy is split into two distinctly different Fleets (West and East Coast). The Navy is heterogeneous and micro. Your squadron is your home; it may be great, average, or awful. A squadron can go from one extreme to the other before you know it. You will spend months preparing for cruise and months on cruise. The quality of the aircraft varies directly with the availability of parts. Senior Navy enlisted are salt of the earth; you'll be proud if you earn their respect. Junior enlisted vary from terrific to the troubled kid the judge made join the service. You will be given the opportunity to lead these people during your career; you will be humbled and get your hands dirty. The quality of your training will vary and sometimes you will be over your head. You will miss many important family events. There will be long stretches of tedious duty aboard ship. You will fly in very bad weather and/or at night and you will be scared many times. You will fly with legends in the Navy and they will kick your ass until you become a lethal force.

And some days - when the scheduling Gods have smiled upon you - your jet will catapult into a glorious morning over a far-away sea and you will be drop-jawed that someone would pay you to do it. The hottest girl in the bar wants to meet the Naval Aviator. That bar is in Singapore.

Bottom line, son, if you gotta ask... pack warm & good luck in Colorado.

Banzai

P.S. Air Force pilots wear scarves and iron their flight suits.