PDA

View Full Version : resettlement grant

Aeronut
4th Jul 2005, 15:15
Anyone know who gets the resettlement grant? AP3392 is vague in that it says that anyone who serves 12 years gets it excluding those on "gratuity terms"? What does that mean?

Some docs refer to £534 and some to £12,000 (for officers)

New pension scheme talks about £9k for all.

Is that a Breitling fund or not?

foldingwings
4th Jul 2005, 15:19
Why don't you ask PSF? That's what they are there for!

Climebear
4th Jul 2005, 15:33
Gratuity Terms were given to Short Service Commissions prior to (about) 1989. These SSC did not attract a preserved pension but paid a tax-free lump sum at the end.

Shot to the Beach
4th Jul 2005, 16:11
I can't answer all your question; but, the £534 is the amount you get through resettlement training to spend on approved courses and the like. The £9/12k is confusingly termed as it is more of a 'golden-handshake' and has nothing to do with resettlement. As for the amounts involved I haven't investigated too much, try getting a pension forecast from Glasgow and it'll be on your letter.

gijoe
4th Jul 2005, 20:17
The 9k(ish) resettlement grant is given to those that don't qualify for an immediate pension - ie before 16 years, 22 years ( service variations aside)

It is to smooth the transition to civvy strasse.

The 534 wedge can be used to pay for resettlement training by those entitled- varies between service and time served etc. This can be made up to about 3k when all T&S is taken into account.

Miraculously many of the resettlement course providers provide courses that cost around 3k...:ok:

G (ex-resettlement jiff boy)

Occasional Aviator
4th Jul 2005, 20:36
You get a 'terminal grant' as a lump sum when you leave. It's usually 3 times your pension and you can top this up by 'commuting' some of your pension (ie you get a bigger lump sum by reducing the pension). This is known as resettlement commutation.

If anyone's in any doubt whether our terms of service have kept up with the world, the terminal grant was meant to allow someone who'd always lived in quarters to buy a house when they left. Let me see, what can I get for £35k?

flipster
4th Jul 2005, 23:24
Resettlement and terminal benefits are totally different subjects.

1. Ask the 'joint' pensions people at Glasgow for forecasts of pension with or without commutation/pvr. 2

2. However, speak to your resettlement clerks about what you can claim in resettlement perks/retraining. Enhanced Learning Credits are useful too.

For me, the maximum commutation of my immediate pension (tax free) allowed me to buy some foreign property as a future nest-egg, while the resettlement bods knocked roughly £3k off my retraining for civvie street and the ELC/LC allowed a few bob off my exams.

For sure, there are legitimate good deals to be had - all you have to do is ask!

Climebear
5th Jul 2005, 06:59
Occasional Aviator

the terminal grant was meant to allow someone who'd always lived in quarters to buy a house when they left.

Where have you read this (in regulations). This is an urban myth. This was never the reason for the grant - although, it did prove to be a useful way to spend it.