PDA

View Full Version : Web-based terminal emulator

Stoney X
4th Jul 2005, 09:09
Does anybody know of any software that will run on a Linux machine to provide a web-based terminal into that machine? I need to access a Linux machine remotely. The obvious solution is to use software like PuTTY and connect using SSH. However, this requires loading software onto the local PC, and this might not always be desirable, i.e. at work or in an internet cafe. Any ideas?

Regards
Stoney

SilentlyScreaming
4th Jul 2005, 09:29
Only tried it on a Windows PC, but I'm sure linux has similair programs (or maybe even 'had' it originally) - VNC - Has both web based and app based remote hookup, and you can re-assign the ports used for each, if you have firewall/router issues.
Check here (http://www.tightvnc.com/download.html) for one example.

drauk
4th Jul 2005, 10:42
Stoney, google 'ssh applet' will give you several. Alternatively, if you have control over the linux server try installing Webmin which comes with an SSH client built-in, plus will allow you to do all kinds of other admin. Make sure you enable SSL if you'll be doing admin from outside your own network.

Stoney X
5th Jul 2005, 06:23
Thanks for the info SS and drauk. Sometimes just knowing what to google is half the problem!

Regards
Stoney