PDA

View Full Version : Supersonic Overland?

Ali Barber
3rd Jul 2005, 04:38
Looking for some advice on what rules exist for supersonic overland. Not after the UK's as I'm aware of those and it's never too far from the coast. I'm looking for more landlocked countries where simply saying it has to be over the sea isn't practical. What height limits apply? What about populated areas? Any other limitations such as not in a dive? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Navaleye
3rd Jul 2005, 08:28
Ali,

I can't anwer your overland question, but I used to frequent the QE2 on her north Atlantic runs. She followed the same track as the Concorde. The QE2's captain at the time would pipe the Concorde's RT over the main broadcast. Everyone would run out to the stern and see this tiny arrow shape appear over the horizon at incredibe speed. Not long after it was overhead you would hear the sonic boom and the entire ship would shake. I felt it many times whilst still in bed and knew what it was. I can't help thinking we have all taken a big step backwards.

ImageGear
3rd Jul 2005, 12:50
Not much but might help

5.1.8 Supersonic Flight Operations
5.1.8.1 General. COs assigned aircraft capable of
supersonic flight shall ensure that aircrews are thoroughly
familiar with the shock wave phenomenon peculiar to
supersonic flight. Serious damage, annoyance, and mental
stress have resulted from sonic booms. It is incumbent on
every pilot flying aircraft capable of generating sonic
booms to reduce such disturbances and damage to the
absolute minimum dictated by operational/training
requirements.
5.1.8.2 Policy. Supersonic flight operations shall
be strictly controlled and supervised by operational
commanders. Supersonic flight over land or within 30
miles offshore shall be conducted in specifically
designated areas. Such areas must be chosen to ensure
minimum possibility of disturbance. As a general
policy, sonic booms shall not be intentionally generated
below 30,000 feet of altitude unless over water and
more than 30 miles from inhabited land areas or islands.
Deviations from the foregoing general policy may be
authorized only under one of the following:
a. Tactical missions that require supersonic speeds
b. Phases of formal training syllabus flights requiring
supersonic speeds
c. Research, test, and operational suitability test
flights requiring supersonic speeds
d. When specifically authorized by CNO for flight
demonstration purposes.
5.1.8.3 Reports, Inquiries, and Investigations.
The Department of the Navy must accept responsibility
for restitution and payment of just claims for damage
resulting from sonic booms determined to have been
caused by naval aircraft. To assist in determining
validity of claims, all supersonic flights conducted over
the continental United States or within 50 miles
offshore shall be logged as to time, date, location,
speed, and altitude of occurrence and retained at the unit
level for 24 months.
Section 0910f of the Manual of the Judge Advocate
General (JAGINST 5800.7) provides information and
instructions concerning investigations into sonic boom
complaints and alleged damage claims.

USAF ?

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/pubfiles/af/13/afi13-201/afi13-201.pdf

Imagegear

Fox3snapshot
3rd Jul 2005, 12:53
Planning a mach run on your Harley?????!! :E

Impiger
3rd Jul 2005, 13:15
Old RAFG rule was not below 36 000 not sure if that was RAF mandated or Federal Germany's rule. Thinking about it as we were the occupying power it must have been our rule.

For the Cloggies rules didn't seem to apply whilst over Germany - can't think why not ......

Chris Kebab
3rd Jul 2005, 16:08
Unless it was a Belgian in an F-104 from Kleine Brogel bouncing down the IGB showing off to the stunned Fg Off in the back in which case it was 1000 ft.

Nutters the lot of them, and the staich had the cheek to bo££acked me as well when I got back to the sqn!

Ali Barber
3rd Jul 2005, 22:04
Thanks for the replies. keep them coming if you can. I seem to remember 30,000 ft applying in France. Once did a 2v2 combat overhead Paris with a 30,000 ft base height, but not allowed to go supersonic there!

Fox3snapshot
4th Jul 2005, 11:16
No supersonic overland......

Stick to the corridors if you are lucky enough to have them....

:sad:

psy clops
4th Jul 2005, 15:09
No supersonic overland...... Couple of exceptions I think:
1. Ex Pitch Black in the Northern Territories, Aus. Speed limit was M1.3 as far as I recall (any faster the -18's couldn't catch the Pigs!).
2. 'Approved Training Areas' in Saudi - ie over desert. Still not allowed at LL tho'.

Psy

Fox3snapshot
4th Jul 2005, 17:17
As per my comment reference the corridors I have no doubt that in the empty quarter of Saudi and other extremely remote regions of the world, this would be practicle, however,

As a long term resident of Pitch Black country I can assure you that there is extremely strict legislation with respect to supersonic overland. This has been a result of many incidents especially the B1 that "Boomed" and trashed a house (roof collapse). There is a Australian DOD site that I can point you to that has all the current "Boom" enquiries which are resulting in litigation. A couple of Hornets on a home transit in ACT area springs to mind and a Pig at the range to name a few (trashed the range hut).

Perhaps out at the delamere range or other remote ranges, but even then I would be suspect. There are supersonic lanes on the Eastern and Northern seaboards of Australia for mach runs.

P.S Its "Northern Territory" and I am proud to say I am a Territorian....although to be a true Territorian you have to fulfil certain obligations one of which can't be mentioned here and I admit I haven't drunk a Darwin Stubby or shot a Buffalo.....:E

:cool: