PDA

View Full Version : Intermittant BT Connection

joe2812
1st Jul 2005, 17:17
I've recently swapped to BT 2 meg Broadband from AOL 512.

BT have issued us a Voyager 205 Router and we are intending on using the PC as the main connection, and my laptop networked in from my room.

However we have discovered the extension from the main socket to the PC is ruining the connection, so at the moment we only have the laptop in the lounge, plugged into the main phone point.

The connection is fine to begin with but after about an hour or so it'll cut us off, only letting us back on after switching the router on then off, and letting it run thru' diagnostic.

The cut off time varies, the longest I have been on without being cut off is 90 mins, the shortest about 20. Bt have suggested re-installing the software which has been done a few times, checking the connection (also done with filters in place), and trying the connection without the phone or other items plugged in, which has also been done.

Can anyone suggest any other ideas?

timmcat
2nd Jul 2005, 18:37
Joe, if you can get into the diagnostics section of your router, can you post the download attenuation figure please? It's measured in decibels and is NOT the same as the signal / noise ratio. If the attenuation is marginal, this would explain why your 512 service was OK, and you are now having problems. I understand that you need a figure under 45dbs to get reliable 2meg ADSL.

Another thought is that some routers need to be reset periodically to maintain an IP address. Hourly seems a bit excessive though.

You may also have answered your own query. Although ISP's will have you believe that you must never use a household telephone extension cable, many of us do with no problems whatsoever. Could be it's having difficulty coping with the additional throughput?

joe2812
3rd Jul 2005, 11:49
I can't seem to find the diagnostic, only the status, which gives the bytes received and transmitted.

BT recommended for a standalone computer using the Ethernet connection, I have now tried reinstalling with a USB connection to see how that goes.

We are also due to have the main socket moved so there will be no need to include the extension for the internet connection.

As an aside, is the USB/Ethernet light supposed to flash while online does anyone know? BT are being less than helpful, so far only suggestion my physical connection is wrong!

touch&go
4th Jul 2005, 17:42
Not sure if this will fix your problem but back in 2001 when I first connected to the ADSL service with BT I had a problem with loosing my connection and having to re boot my computer to get the connection back, so after months of trouble BT came up with a fix which was to open Outlook Express and set to check for email at one minute intervals and leave it minimised at the bottom of the desk top, this keeps the connection active, and this fix has worked for me ever since.

Good luck.