PDA

View Full Version : Aeromadrid and FTE; the lowdown

zomerkoning
1st Jul 2005, 16:23
Hye guys,

I visited FTE a month ago and this week made it down to Aero Madrid. I thought seeing that there are a lot of questions regarding the comparisons between these schools I'd give you the lowdown.

Please note that this is all my personal opinion and I only speak for myself.

First of the bat, I have to say that both FTE and Aero Madrid seem to be highly professional, well organized places.

The instructors actually know what they are talking about and both school do not have any problem about you roaming around and randomly talking to students about their own experiences. This leaves the impression that they have nothing to hide.

I do have to say that FTE does have a better marketing department, this could be the difference between a Spanish director and a Australian. But for us it doesn't really matter as you want to become a pilot not a marketing employee :)

The facilities, this is a difficult one. On first glance it would be a close call. Aero madrid seems to have the upper hand in the types and amounts of sims, but then again they have to as they have a lot more students than FTE (don't forget Aero Madrid is the biggest school in Spain). Classrooms and general facilities have to go to FTE (come on, they have a pool!). As I'm not a pilot (only a wannabee) I cannot comment on which school has better aircraft or maintenance. The types are the same (Warrior and Seneca II and III's).

The one thing that did stick with me was a comment from a couple of Aero madrid instructors (all Spanish exect one very good Dutch guy) that they where worried about the condition and flying practices of Aerofan and wouldn't be suprised if one of Aerofan's aircraft would fall out of the sky in the near future. I don't know if this was rivalry talking, but as they where quite positive about American Flyers (another Madrid based company) and about FTe, I beginning to wonder that there might be some truth to it.

The way the course is taught is the major difference between FTE and Aeromadrid. Aeromadrid and FTE both want you to pass as quickly as possible only FTE has a much greater emphasis on high grades. Classes at FTE are from 09:00 to 17:00, Aeromadrid are from 17:00 to 21:00. This might explain that the Aero Madrid course takes 5 months longer than FTE's, also Aero Madrid does give you more flying and sim hours than FTE. Generally the atmosphere at Aero Madrid is far more laid back than at FTE. I prefer to be pushed and challenged constantly, but some people like to have more time off and relax. Make up your own mind which is better for YOU.

At FTE accomedation is provided, at Aero Madrid you have to take care of it yourself (although the guys at Aero Madrid will be more than happy to help you out!). Both are excellent, with FTE probably winning that round as things like cleaning, food and internet are included in the price (hey I've been living on my own for 5 years, I know how much time goes into cooking, cleaning etc.)

In conclusing I have to say that both schools are top notch and in my opinion a good place to get your training.

Which one you go to is dependent on your own preference and how fast you want to get your training.

The point of airline connections is something I don't want to cover as result gained in the past do not give any guarantees for the future.

Hope this helps people who are having difficulty deciding where to go. My advise visit both and then make up your mind.

quackers
1st Jul 2005, 20:23
zomerkoning,

Be very careful what you say on this website - although we all use 'handles' you can still be sued for libel/slander. I did some of my training with Aerofan recently and was very pleased a) with the standard of instruction and b) with the aircraft. (If anything went wrong with the plane it was taken out of service promptly - they have their own engineering hangar on site!). To suggest (albeit from another person/school) that one of their aircraft may 'fall out of the asky' is absolute nonsense. I think you will find that they have one of the highest 'pass rates' at Cuatro Vientos' airport, so perhaps it is just jealousy. They may not have flashy planes and buildings but guess who ends up paying for all that flash? All the best in your future training!

zomerkoning
2nd Jul 2005, 10:01
As I mentioned this was not my opinion, but one voiced by some instructors. I have no idea if it is true or not.... Could very well be jelousy, I have no idea...

theprizefighter
2nd Jul 2005, 21:18
you forgot to mention the 20,000euro difference in price between aeromadrid and fte, maybe choose madrid and buy yourself a swimming pool only a taught since you mentioned about the lovely pool in fte..

:ok:

best of luck in future

eolas
2nd Jul 2005, 21:40
Aerofan is a small close knit school in CV along with a number of bigger FTO's in CV. Aerofan have a great opportunity but they could spoil it all as a result of not paying attention to flight safety procedures.

There is good reason to have some concerns about Aerofan not necessarily the Aircraft but flight safety. There have been a number of incidents recently with Aerofan Aircraft not following correct procedures they need to get their act together and Alex Chief flight Instructor needs to stamp his authority on things.

Its got to the stage that there are concerns if an Aerofan Aircraft appears !

I'm sure the situation will improve but the comments and concerns from Aeromadrid are not without foundation.