PDA

View Full Version : NZ Airline Minimum Requirements

JohnnyK
1st Jul 2005, 09:41
Hi Folks,

Just doing some forward planning here. Currently in Maun hacking away at PIC on a 206 and soon starting on an islander. Am envisaging returning to NZ in 12-24 months with 2000 or so hours total-about 500 of those multi. No ATPL, Minimum night hours. Given the current market conditions could I even get an interview with the Eagle Airs et al. Is it worth dropping them a line now to let them know my present situtation? Any suggestions on my next move?

Cheers Guys.

NZDP
4th Jul 2005, 00:31
I reccon you should give them a try. Air Nelson, Eagle and Origin should be ok with those hours, don't know about Mt Cook

sneakykiwi
4th Jul 2005, 14:29
Hi guys

I'm another Kiwi pilot in Maun (surprise). What is the chance for guys in NZ with 2300 TT, but 1000 single turbine?

splatgothebugs
6th Jul 2005, 03:46
I find it funny that people ask if they should give it a go. (not been nasty):p

Just apply! it won't hurt and whats the worst thing that can happen?????????????????? you don't get a call up till you have the hours. Apply to everyone you want to work for even if you only have low time.

splat :ok:

on a nicer note you couldn't pick a better time to apply to airlines in NZ

troppo
7th Jul 2005, 04:23
Vincent's are advertising for Dash 8 Captains/FO's for a August start, don't know about the requirements though.

Sid Departure
7th Jul 2005, 04:36
I totally agree with splat.
Don't worry whether you have the required minimum qualifications or not, just submit the application.
By doing so you are registering you interest in joining that company and by then updating your file every 6 months you'll bring your name up again for consideration.

Good luck!

SkySurfin
16th Jul 2005, 22:59
Dumela Boys

Glad to hear there are still some kiwi lads over in dirty ol maun, building up hours in the Okavango. I flew for Delta Air for nearly 3 years and had a blast. Im now flying for a Regional in NZ along with a whole bunch of Maun pilots. Fact is that all the fulas who have come home have eventually ended up with good jobs- Air NZ, Cathay, Mount Cook, Air Nelson, Eagle, Origin, Vincient Air Chats, Air Freight. In saying that I dont know of any guys who have gone straight into these positions, except for Vincent ( which has employed about 5 Maun pilots in the last couple of years). Most guys have come back from Africa and slotted into a GA job for 6-12 months before getting the call. Another popular option is to zap over to the Carribean for short stint and quickly nail some twin-time, then come home and get an interview with a regional. I thought that I may get a ribbing about my time in Africa when I went through the interview process, but I was plesently suprised. It appears that the boys from Maun have all done well with their respective companies back in NZ and have built up a good reputation for those returning home in search of employment. 2000 hours is PLENTY of flight time, unfortunatley it may not be enough of the RIGHT time to get an interview with Eagle or Nelson. Although things are pretty dire at the moment in NZ and if you had at least 100 hours multi or a good wack of turbine you might have a chance. Give Vincent a call though, they will might be a little more enthusiastic and with the Introduction of a dash 8 they are a good company to get a foot in with. I would keep in mind that things in NZ are creaming at the moment in terms of hiring, it may be a different story by the end of next year. If I was you I would try and get home before things slow, just so you give yourselves the best shot possible at snagging a job.

Anymore Questions give me a PM. Just before I go- Who brought the Blue landy off Pancake? And hows Sparks?
Ltr

the maori mobster
16th Jul 2005, 23:24
where and what is "maun"?
;)

sneakykiwi
19th Jul 2005, 11:10
"Maun" is a tropical oasis, full of beautiful women, cheap beer, and heaps of things to do. Anyone who hasn't experienced it, hasn't really lived!!!!

Eh maa!!!!!!! Dumela, dumela, dumela!!!