PDA

View Full Version : Disentangle IE & ISP?

cool blue
29th Jun 2005, 14:37
Hi,

I recently used a two year old ghost image to re-constitute my HDD. I am getting various "fatal exception" & "this program has performed an illegal operation" messages. On a few occasions a small white exception box appears--forcing a reboot. The original image was newly hand-built and hadn't been connected to the net (to reduce possible viruses). The install was successful and has been in continuous use until the afore-mentioned reformat.

The only obvious problem I can find is that I'm unable to use IE. When I click the IE icon (online or off) it defaults to a white (full-sized) screen offering 'reconnect' or 'cancel' to my ISP. Problem is that if I continue the only option to reconnect requires use of the now out-of-date phone number. I insert the correct number (same ISP as the old, as it happens) but it refuses to accept it despite that number alreadybeing in actual use to connect (using 'my connection' in 'dial-up networking'. I have had to install Firefox, which is OK (but does seem to rather eat resources, system seems to really dislike it--takes 5-10 secs to open), except for these various exception & illegal operation messages (mostly requiring a re-boot).

As a point of note, the illegal operation messages are predominantly (but not always) associated with Firefox whilst online (title bar), and Explorer (not IE) when not. The fatal exceptions often seem to be 0246:014747FB, which I don't understand, as this apparently relates to Macafee(?)--which has never been installed! (I removed Symantec AV & Firewall (out of date), and install AVG & ZA to replace them.)

I tried re-installing the IE5 by both downloading IE6 (fails) and repairing IE (fails). There doesn't appear to be any way to simply remove and then re-install either (heard IE in win98SE is part of the OS?). Similarly, 'MyISP' files/program provides no means of outright removal (though listed in start-up folder).

If I could actually open IE (without this default thing happening) I suspect I could stop this. Very frustrating!

I'm in the position of possibly having to buy another PC if I can't make mine reliable.

Any ideas, please?

Rgds

CB.

PC: Win98SE, AMD-500mhz, 128RAM, 10gbHD.

SilentlyScreaming
29th Jun 2005, 23:23
If Control Panel, Internet (Options?), General tab does not allow start page changing, then (Don't know if its stored under the same area in registry in 98, but,) assuming you are happy editting the registry, try looking for
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main (sorry can't remember which is correct), and alter the value in Start Page to about:blank for now - that about:blank shouldn't have any spaces in it, not sure why forum keeps inserting one.
Failing that, I know WebRoot's SpySweeper (http://www.webroot.com/downloads/) plays around with that area of the registry