PDA

View Full Version : Ray Holmes dies at 90

Readability5
29th Jun 2005, 11:05
Ray Holmes, the RAF sergeant who disabled a Dornier about to drop it's payload on Buckingham Palace in 1940, has died at the age of 90.

Story at the BBC web site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/4630075.stm)

A fascinating, modest and understated pilot - the TV programme where they dug up part of his aircraft last year was brilliant. Flags in his home town have been lowered to half mast in his honour.

Condolences to all who knew him.

Farrell
29th Jun 2005, 11:12
"Sergeant Ray Holmes saved the palace when a German Dornier bomber lined up to attack it on 15 September 1940.

Sgt Holmes, from Wirral, had run out of ammunition when he saw the threat, so sliced through its tail then parachuted to safety."

Now THAT is a true hero!

Can you imagine the reaction of the Dornier pilot?

BeauMan
29th Jun 2005, 12:38
I believe the immediate reaction of one of the Dornier crew was to be beaten to death by members of the public after he parachuted out. But then, he had just been trying to bomb them...

Ray Holmes' action, or more accurately, the immediate aftermath of it, was captured on film and survives today. The image of a tail-less and wing-less Dornier falling from the sky, followed by the gently fluttering tail unit, is something that once seen, you can never forget. Holmes' Hurricane's final moments were also captured on film.

I never met him, but my overriding memory of this most modest of heroes, was the amused way in which he handled his moment of TV fame last year, shunning hero-worship, and instead making a point of attempting to seduce both the female presenter, and a present RAuxAF WAAF.

What a character, sorely missed... :(

sammypilot
29th Jun 2005, 13:20
I am proud to say that I did know Ray and knew him well. For many years he worked as a Newspaper Reporter at the Crown Court, Liverpool and it was only by chance that I found out about his experiences in the RAF. Ray never mentioned them.

With a colleague, I had the privilege of flying Ray to RAF Benson in 1995. The Station Commander had extended an invitation to Ray to celebrate 50 years since his last flight from Benson as a Spitfire PRU pilot.

Ray wrote a book about his experiences called "Sky Spy." It is a wonderful read being very much understated fact.

Ray's death sees the passing of a perfect Gentleman.

B Fraser
29th Jun 2005, 17:57
His book is listed on Amazon, my order is going in shortly. :ok:

CarltonBrowne the FO
29th Jun 2005, 20:41
In the summer of 2000 (just weeks before Ray's TV appearances as one of the experts for the BoB 60th anniversary) I chanced upon Sky Spy in a local bookshop. Opening a page at random, I chanced upon the words "if you want to travel incognito by bus, do not carry with you a 6 foot long Dornier propellor blade with bullet holes in it."
I bought the book!

Cyclic Hotline
29th Jun 2005, 23:18
Ray Holmes made it as the second item on this morning's Paul Harvey News (mms://abcrad.wmod.llnwd.net/a49/external/0102cABAAHQAAAAcDle6yKhvE1c0LnEJnNwFajD8QD92LOnSD/harvey/am/harveyam06292005.wma) , broadcast nationally on ABC radio news across the US.

Genuine respect from the other side of the Atlantic on the event of his death.

RIP.

Leftit2L8
1st Jul 2005, 07:39
A true British hero. RIP

TwoDeadDogs
1st Jul 2005, 21:12
Hello all
Did a crewman really escape from that stricken bomber? the famous photo showed it falling with both wings having broken off, outboard of the engines and fuel vapour escaping. Could anyone have managed to get clear?
regards
TDD

Conan the Librarian
30th Jul 2005, 01:16
A great book and one I am searching for now in attics, garages, etc. through various moves, etc. As ever, humility makes its' mark.

Conan

WG774
2nd Nov 2005, 20:27
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/4398484.stm

His former squadron will be presented with a model of the Hurricane made from its melted-down engine on Wednesday.

No matter how many times I read the story, I'm still flabbergasted by Holmes's selflessness and dedication.

I raise a glass in honour :ok:

Footless Halls
3rd Nov 2005, 19:29
Not quite sure how true this 'beaten to death by the locals' story is. I THINK the truth is that a Dornier crewman bailed out and landed at the Oval, but died the following day in Hospital from injuries sustained in the Battle/Bailout PLUS maltreatment by the locals.

So the 'lynched by the local women' bit may be something of an exaggeration?

Also, I'm not sure this poor guy was associated with Ray Holmes' 'kill'.