PDA

View Full Version : Egpws

cuffs
29th Jun 2005, 09:50
How many out there have had their rosters changed for Friday due to the companies not getting their &^%# together and installing EGPWS by June 30 2005?

Ramrod
29th Jun 2005, 09:59
I've heard there are between 20-25 airlines, including International airlines who will not be able to comply with the deadline.

Half of these operators have been unable to get the required parts, while the other half just left it to the last minute.

Those who have applied for a disppo from CASA were told "NO".

So come Friday there may be some towns and cities without a service.

steelcraft
29th Jun 2005, 10:09
What is the problem with parts and what sort of time frame are we talking about. If it is months fo the parts what about the staff?

Ramrod
29th Jun 2005, 10:32
The problem with the parts is because so many companies have waited to the last minute to fit the EGPWS, the manufacturer's have a backlog.

Remember some of the equipment (ADC, Radar ALt's etc) in older aircraft is not compatible with the newer EGPWS computer and therefore will require replacement.

Each aircraft will also require an flight test after the EGPWS is fitted.

The Voice
29th Jun 2005, 22:16
If I may ..

the problem is not so much operators waiting until the last minute, but that CASA have decided to enforce a date which is up to 2 years earlier than ICAO requires it for the REST OF THE WORLD!

so, based on this time frame the manufacturers ramped up for delivery in that specified time, which means that as CASA has changed the goal posts, the kits are not necessarily available due to manufacturing schedules.

CASA is playing hardball, and my understanding is that there is talk of at least one operator going to play equally hard - challenging the validity of this requirement in the legal system - more may be known later today.

It is going to cause quite a few issues for quite a few operators.

Capt Claret
30th Jun 2005, 01:34
How can it be called enhanced when it shouts FIVE HUNDRED at you half way down final and then screams at you through the flare until touchdown? :yuk: :ugh:

The Riddler
30th Jun 2005, 02:02
Airlines face grounding
June 30, 2005
Scott Rochfort, Alexandra Smith
Sydney Morning Herald

Unless it is a cloud-free day, several regional and international airlines will be grounded tomorrow if they fail to fit their aircraft with ground warning navigation systems.

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority has warned that it will not grant exemptions after July 1 for the handful of airlines which are still not carrying the systems, which are designed to prevent aircraft crashing into mountains.

The authority said Air Niugini, whose Fokker 100 flies into Cairns, was one airline facing grounding.

Air Canada had sought an exemption this week, since some of its 767s which fly into Sydney do not have the systems.

The airline agreed yesterday to use only those that do.

One regional airline under threat is Skippers, which links Perth with destinations such as Geraldton, Monkey Mia and the West Australian mine fields.

Aircraft without the systems will be allowed to fly only during the daytime and if it is sunny.

Operators have had five years to install the systems.

Gastrick
30th Jun 2005, 02:35
Operators have had five years to install the systems.

FIVE YEARS!! No excuse could possibly be acceptable. We all fly according to Australian regs and every company has known for FIVE YEARS what those regs would require come July 1 2005. Those who did the right thing and complied are about to have an outstandingly proffitable couple of months.

My thoughts are with the casual crew members who will be screwed because of this.

Howard Hughes
30th Jun 2005, 07:42
I'm with you Capt Claret, I don't think I have heard so many superfluous calls. Despite the fact that there in and working, there still seems to be many bugs to be ironed out. I expect once the system functions as it should, it will be a good system! Being on the fringe of the sattelite coverage does'nt help either...

Cheers, HH.

:ok: