PDA

View Full Version : medical exam and question

mpflis
27th Jun 2005, 15:29
I have an upcoming first interview with Cathay. It has been a period of intense study, and anxiety. I have some questions regarding the medical questionnaire, and if someone could enlighten me as to their policies or their situation it would be greatly appreciated. I will not hide or lye about any part of my medical history; however, i would like to know if I will be at a huge disadvantage to others coming in with "clean" records. I had PRK which is a procedure similar to lasic, to reshape the cornea of my eye and thus remove the necessity of wearing glasses. This was done in 1997, and my vision is still 20/20. How does Cathay view these procedures and has anyone been hired who had them done prior to joining? I also had a chest xray this past year, which turned out to be walking pnuemonia. Nothing serious, just put on antibiotics. What a great time for this to happen considering i hadnt been to see the doctor in over 5 years! I am generally physically fit and very active. I hope that these things do not disqualify me, for i am a very healthy person; however, if i was to leave them off the questionnaire, i would be worried 24/7 that they might arise somewhere later down the road, and the consequences are much too steep. Please respond ASAP for my interview is coming quickly. Thanks ahead of time!

petitepilot
27th Jun 2005, 18:14
Under no circumstances should you lie about either, but for two different reasons. It doesn't matter whether or not you disclose the eye surgery because you will always have scars which are easily visible during an eye exam. Not disclosing this will probably automatically disqualify you. I don't know what Cathay's policies are but in the US you have to wait six months and be signed off by an FAA examiner. I've never heard of a case where someone was disqualified as long as their eyes are healthy post surgery. The pneumonia should not be detectable or disqualifying unless you have scarring on your lungs. I don't think they'll do that kind of test at the interview. However, if you used sick time at your job it may be on your record. It would suck to get hired and then fired when they run your background check. Bottom line, you have this history and there is nothing you can or should do but go interview with a great POSITIVE attitude. I wouldn't bring up either of these things unless asked directly. Then I would answer matter-of-factly with no embellishment and move on. If not questioned by the Doctor, you might ask others for opinions about asking the Dr. if either would disqualify you. That way, if you get turned down you can narrow the reasons why. Best of luck!!!:8

kavu
27th Jun 2005, 23:27
As petitipilot said, don't lie and also provide all the medical files you have regarding the eye surgery and the lung infection.

For the first interview they will probably ask one or two questions about it but the guys interviewing you are pilots and not doctors. Saying that they will probably ask for all the information before letting you know about a second interview. So provide them with everything. Saves time later.

I forgot to provide some info for them regarding my medical condition (Not serious) but they needed to see it so they could assess the risk. This just added to the time I had to wait until I found out if I was successful or not for the first interview.

I was successful and the second interview was good. the medical part of the second interview was interesting. They wanted everything and anything. I had to get some more tests done in my home town and sent up to them before I heard back. They are thorough. (sp?)

Don't hide anything, they do find out.

WaldoPepper
28th Jun 2005, 13:18
As per Kavu,

I had laser surgery (LASEK) only 9 months before being asked for the 1st interview. They just wanted some extra info from the surgeon.

At the 2nd interview they wanted more info again, but it did not cause any problems.

Be totally honest and you should be OK.

WP

Silent Running
30th Jun 2005, 09:07
For Cathay the Hong Kong equal opportunities ordinance prevents an employer from discriminating against a prospective employee on medical grounds (accepted a normal class 1 medical is already held). Also, I understand the Hong Kong CAD have no objection to pilots who have undergone PRK subject to a satisfactory outcome (obvious) and sufficient recovery/assessment time between procedure and approval.

Bottom Line: Be honest and you'll have the same chance as the next guy who has'nt had the procedure