PDA

View Full Version : Cranfield UK - WWII bomber?

IHF
25th Jun 2005, 21:07
Hi folks

I was out walking in the Cranfield (ICAO code is EGTC I think) area this afternoon (Saturday 25th). At around 16:00 I noticed a twin engined aircraft in the area, fairly low (around 1000 ft) which then circled and descended out of sight. Cranfield is the only place in the area I can think of that it could have landed.

As far as I could tell in the murk, it was the scale and vintage of a Wellington, but probably had twin tail fins (which as far as I know the Wimpey didn't).

Does anybody know what it might have been and doing what? Nothing urgent - just anoraky interest really.

Any clues gratefully received

MTIA

IFH

VP8
26th Jun 2005, 06:04
B25 perhaps inbound to Cranfield...anyone else?

VEEPS

cargosales
26th Jun 2005, 09:08
Yup, sounds like a B-25, probably on a landaway from Duxford or North Weald - the homes of many active warbirds. (Haven't been to either for a couple of years tho )

CS

Jinkster
26th Jun 2005, 16:30
I was at an EGTC Flying school from August to Early March - didnt see anything along those lines there.

Sowataneo - know any info?

IHF
27th Jun 2005, 13:03
Many thanks for that, folks.

I think I saw a B25 flying at Duxford about 6 or 7 years ago. I certainly wouldn't have recognised it in Saturay's conditions!

Regards

IHF

dwshimoda
27th Jun 2005, 15:10
I was at Cranfield at qbout that time - cloud base was varying between 600 and 900 feet, so he would have had to have been very low! There wasn't much traffic at all - in fact the BBMF Lancaster should have been exhibiting at Bletchley Park, but the weather was no where near good enough for this.

In terms of aircraft like that, I've never seen anything so exotic at Cranfield in the last 12 months I've been going there.

zarniwoop
29th Jun 2005, 22:59
The B-25 that was based at Duxford (Grumpy) did it's last show there at the October 2004 show then whent to the USA, after spending 18 months - two years sat on the ground. Never did get to the bottom of why it was out of action for so long.

The only other B-25 I know of flying in Europe is operated by The Duke Of Brabant Air Force in France along with a B-17, both regular visitors to the UK air shows, especially Duxford. I Can't think of any other WW II bombers of that description currently flying in UK/Europe.

Not much help I'm afraid.

Z

treadigraph
30th Jun 2005, 06:37
I think there are actaully still three airworthy Mitchells in Europe - the Duke of Brabant example which is US registered but Dutch or Belgian operated, a French registered example, and one with Red Bull in Austria (who also have a very nice DC-6, Corsair and the unfortunate Lefty Gardiner P-38 White Lightnin', currently being rebuilt in the US).

IHF, might it have been a Beech 18? There are several around...

Noah Zark.
3rd Jul 2005, 21:37
Might it have been Air At's Twin Pin having a lurk, we ask?

The Cameraman
4th Jul 2005, 18:32
Hi There,

I saw the Twin Pin arrive at Waddington early Sunday morning so may be it had been playing out on Saturday?

Regards

Reggie AKA The Cameraman