PDA

View Full Version : Going to Heathrow end of August-anything I should be aware of?

Byrna
25th Jun 2005, 19:15
Hello Everyone,

I finally managed to book my first European vacation (I'm from Montreal, Canada) and will be flying on an organized tour via London EGLL (Heathrow), staying in London two nights and then onto Paris (via bus and ferry) then the rest... I won't be transferring to any other flight from Heathrow and will be basically checking out to London.

I've seen Heathrow on the TV show called "Airport" and have some idea about it but wanted to know if there is anything "unusual" about its organization, the customs officers' questions etc... I'm a Canadian citizen.

Sorry if this question is a bit silly, but I guess I'm so excited that, finally, I'm going to Europe for the price is quite expensive, especially converting Euro to Canadian dollars (and the British Pound is even more expensive to purchase).

I do know Heathrow has a lot of terminals and a lot of air and passanger traffic. But how easy is it to get around? Are the signs clear? Staff (fairly) friendly? (Any cute single women you might know would be nice too ...:) ... kidding.)

Thanks for any suggestions and hints,

John

brockenspectre
25th Jun 2005, 19:55
Hi John, I am a Brit, living in UK, and over the years have travelled a fair bit (not as much as many air/cabin crew prooners, though) and would hope that you will find EGLL as practical and efficient as any other giant hub. Because I am a Brit I find LHR easy to navigate through, when it comes to Imm don't crack jokes, just answer questions sensibly (bit like anywhere), as for baggage collection etc it is definitely busy busy but there are plenty of signs and screens showing where to collect your bags. The baggage carts are free so make use of those. As you are on an organised tour, I am sure you, and whoever else is on your flight on the same tour, will be met as you arrive through the Customs area into the Arrivals Hall -- security at LHR like most Brit airports is not highly visible but is ever-present so don't ham for cameras etc. Just be yourself and remember to check the "what you can put in hand-baggage" rules before you fly and you will have fun :)

I have been on the planet for more years than I care to admit to and just realise that in the past month, which saw me doing LGW-DFW-SGF-DFW-LGW-LCY-FRA-MLA-FRA-MLA-FRA-LCY is the MOST flying I have done EVER in such a short space of time hehehehe and I have to say that the airport arrival/departure process is very similar everywhere :ok:

Hope you have a wonderful first trip to Europe - I must advise, though, that I find Paris CDG quite complicated (compared with almost every airport I have visited) ... so the most important thing to remember there (if you are heading back to Canada from Paris) is to allow plenty of time for check in etc :)

Enjoy Europe!! :ok:

Byrna
25th Jun 2005, 20:15
Thank-you very much brockenspectre, much appreaciated!

John

Pilot747
25th Jun 2005, 21:44
heathrow airport is the easiest airport to get around so long as you can read. There are plenty of signs to tell you were you need to go. So all you really need to do is brush up on your ENGLISH and not American English or any other English and you'll be fine

foxile
25th Jun 2005, 23:23
John,

Just worked out, as a PAX, I have used LHR (in or out) nearly ninety (90) times over the last couple of years, the last time being last wed and the next time will be on thurs. During that time I have never had cause for complaint. I have to say, in my experience, that ALL the boys and girls there who make the place work are very professional, courteous and helpful. You have no worries, you'll be fine...

Enjoy your holiday/vacation!

Foxile

Byrna
26th Jun 2005, 11:04
Pilot 747 - I'll try to learn a little bit of British English. Since I live in Montreal, we have a bit of everything here, being a city with over 100 ethnic groups and a lot of English too. Are you saying some of the signs are very "English" in character (like using "Underground" instead of "Metro" which is what we use here in Montreal)?

Foxile - thanks for the information. Who me... worried? :))) I think it is not surprising really that Heathrow is so well organized as I have seen here in Montreal - whatever the English do is organized very well, down to a tee... as for what the French (or the Quebecois do) ... that's another story - emotional more than organized really ... I outta know after living here over 31 years now.

John

The African Dude
26th Jun 2005, 12:18
John,

If you like organised, come to Switzerland! (I say this after having grown up in England, and only being in CH for a year...)
Don't want to hijack the thread though, so onwards!
:D

Andy

Byrna
26th Jun 2005, 14:53
The African Dude,

Actually a large part of my organized tour DOES go to Switzerland. After 2 days in London, onto Brussels, then Rhineland, Germany, then Austria, then St-Moritz, Lake Lugano, Lake Lucerne and Geneva area, then to France/Paris... Thanks-now I'm REALLY dying to fly to Heathrow ASAP!

John