PDA

View Full Version : Open program flies off left of screen

DB6
25th Jun 2005, 06:47
Since yesterday I have a problem with a program that, when opened, only appears in the program bar at the bottom or, when mininised, in the system tray. If you click the system tray icon, it appears to fly off the left hand side of the screen and appears on the program bar i.e. won't display full screen. No amount of clicking on the left exremities of the screen will bring it back. The program is mailwasher. Any ideas?

maxell
25th Jun 2005, 07:18
you could try changing your screen resolution to max, then if the screen shows drag it back to a better position.
right click on empty part of desktop then properties/settings to get to screen resolution

DB6
25th Jun 2005, 10:34
Nope, tried that but it's on max already. I may have to add another monitor and see if it's on there but I don't see how it can have got there as my graphics card is only configured for one screen. Most annoying.

Two_dogs
25th Jun 2005, 14:06
Try finding the programs executable file, probably mailwasher.exe. Right click on the file and click on 'create shortcut'. Right click on the new shortcut and then click on 'Properties'.

There should be two panes available on the pop-up dialogue box that opens. Click on the right 'shortcut' pane and make sure the 'Run' drop down list is set to 'Run Maximised'. This should do the trick.

Two Dogs
http://www.avcanada.ca/albums/albums/userpics/11506/thumb_twodogs4.jpg

DB6
25th Jun 2005, 18:09
Took the lazy way out and did a system restore which fixed it. I'm almost tempted to undo it and try that, Two_dogs, but on the other hand.....

SilentlyScreaming
27th Jun 2005, 09:31
I have simialir issues with a few programs when I disconnect the TV after using DualView on a nVidia based card.

Three other solutions to consider for next time it goes wrong...

1) Simpler, but won't always work... When the window is not minimized, right click on the program in the task bar, and select Move. DO NOT MOVE THE MOUSE AT THIS POINT ONWARDS. Now use the cursor keys on the keyboard, and move the window onto the desktop. Press enter, and you should have it repositioned. Re-size it to your preferred dimensions, close the progeam, and open it again to check it stays within usuable desktop space this time.
[edit] Forgot to say, you can now, obviously, use the mouse again :>

2) Check if the program has an .INI file in its program directory. If it does, open it in notepad (whilst the troubled program is NOT running) , and check if any X,Y style co-ordinates are listed. If you feel confident enough to restore the file to its previous state, if this goes wrong, then go ahead and put something like 0,0 or 20,20 as the starting co-ordinates. Save the file, and re-run the program.

3) If you use a nVidia based card, then right click the desktop, choose properties, select Settings tab, click Advanced, select the top right Tab, and check your nView options from the links on the little sub-window on the left. You can go through a wizard at this point. One of the config screens will refer to forcing programs to open within the confines of a certain monitor, and you can force the errant application to be displayed on your primary monitor here.
(depending on your current driver version, this may not hold true, similairly, you may already have a nVidia sys tray icon to speed access to the config screens needed in the first few steps of 3)

At work, so 3) is from memory, apologies if a little woolly.