PDA

View Full Version : Current Medical for LPC?

Freebird17
24th Jun 2005, 20:51
As I read it, a current medical is not required for an LPC but if anyone thinks differently, I'd be interested to know.

DFC
24th Jun 2005, 21:55
Not if you are doing it on the sim.

If you want to operate an aircraft as anything other than P/UT then you need a valid medical.

The LPC will require you to operate as P1 under the supervision of the Examminer. You log the time as P1/S and in the command column.........how can you do that without a medical?

Regards,

DFC

Freebird17
24th Jun 2005, 22:57
DFC

LPC in question is PPL/SEP renewal.

I agree with your thinking but Standards Document 19, Version 3 (Guidance for Applicants taking the PPL Skills Test) states that whereas applicants must be in possession of a medical certificate, the Examiner may conduct the test if the certificate is out of date, provided the applicant is aware that he cannot use the licence or rating until the medical is revalidated.

BEagle
25th Jun 2005, 14:52
Freebird 17, that Standards Document does not apply to the LST/LPC SPA you need for a SEP Class Rating re-validation or renewal.

I cannot find any specific reference; however, although I would conduct the LST/LPC, I wouldn't sign the FCL150CJAR until the applicant produced a current medical certificate.

Whopity
25th Jun 2005, 17:00
You can fly as a student pilot without a medical, thus you can log PUT.

You cannot exercise the privileges of a licence without a valid medical (ANO); other than as a student pilot.

There is nothing in JAR-FCL or the ANO that says you cannot undertake a skill test as a Student Pilot.

Provided you log the Skill Test/LPC as PUT then you can do it without a medical but you cannot then fly as PIC until you gain a medical.

DFC
25th Jun 2005, 20:35
Why do an LPC if you don't have a medical?

Why ask for your proficiency to act as pilot in command to be checked if by your own admission you lack one of the essential requirements to act in such a capacity?

Not saying that it is the case at all but I personally would wonder about an individual who was very rushed to complete an LPC but in no rush at all to get a medical.

Why not simply get the medical and then complete the LPC?

-------

BEagle,

If you would do the check, how can the pilot who demonstrates perfect flying log P1/S if they did not have the legal entitlement to act in such a capacity?

I can see your method in not signing the paperwork until the medical is sighted but could the applicant not argue that you can not withould the required paperwork when they had completed the check and displayed the required standard?

Personally I think that while you may be helping the individual, you are leaving yourself open to all sorts of questions.

Regards,

DFC

BEagle
25th Jun 2005, 22:08
I agree - no point in doing a LPC for re-validation unless you're going to use the privileges of a licence. Which means holding a valid Medical Certificate.

But for a LST for renewal? I would make it clear to the applicant that I wouldn't be happy to sign the FCL150CJAR unless or until he held a valid medical certifcate; it would then be his choice whether or not to take the LST with that understanding.

The 'logging' question is nihil ad rem. How the applicant chooses to log a LPC/LST pass is up to him. It should indeed be recorded as PIC/US if successful, but a FE has no power to insist that it is so recorded.

I vaguely recall being told a while back by the Belgranists to check medical validities during LPCs/LSTs?

Gertrude the Wombat
26th Jun 2005, 10:05
How the applicant chooses to log a LPC/LST pass is up to him. It should indeed be recorded as PIC/US if successful, but a FE has no power to insist that it is so recorded. I've just been told by the examiner who signed off my SEP revalidation that I "should" have logged various check rides (due to being out of club currency, not LPCs) as P1/S, not PU/T as I had done. But I'm going to carry on doing it my way - it's my log book, and I want the "in command" total to represent the time I didn't have someone else to hand over to if it went pear-shaped.

Keygrip
26th Jun 2005, 11:47
............but, Gertrude - that's why it's P1/S for a successfull flight (no hand holding needed, just a required observation that you did it correctly) and Pu/t for a 'fail' (not quite good enough to do it alone).

hugh flung_dung
26th Jun 2005, 14:40
Gertrude, P1/S is only used in single crew aircraft for a successful flight test; any other occasion is either PU/T or P1.
You were correct, the examiner was wrong.

Having said that, methinks the rule about P1/s is pretty dumb and should be revised so that it can legitimately be used for checkouts when you are, in fact, P1 under supervision.

HFD

Up & Away
18th Jul 2005, 20:53
AS an Examiner (Helicopters) I always check for current Medical and will not continue without one.
I have refused to test at a school where a client was told otherwise!! Phoned CAA and they said my action was correct.

A pilot being examined only logs P1s for PPL(H) skills test only.
For the annual check, I am considered his/her 'passenger' so logs P1. Should any instruction be wanted/given then that flight is dual.

note. the Instructor/Examiner is qualified on type so can also log P1!!
So become an Instructor current on type and both pilots CAN log the time P1! confused?

Gertrude the Wombat
18th Jul 2005, 21:06
Should any instruction be wanted/given then that flight is dual. When I'm undertaking a check ride longer than one circuit I usually do ask for some instruction, either revision or something I've not done before (like, flying a circuit with the ASI covered up on one recent ride) - I like to get my money's worth :D :D :D

Up & Away
19th Jul 2005, 07:49
The price I charge is fixed beforehand and based on the total time expected to travel/meet/brief/fly/debrief/coffee/chat etc.

Included in the price is any amount of revision and instruction wanted but client must log flight time accordingly.

FormationFlyer
19th Jul 2005, 11:05
Up & Away -

note. the Instructor/Examiner is qualified on type so can also log P1!!
So become an Instructor current on type and both pilots CAN log the time P1! confused?

Er...no.

Instructional flights:
- Instructor logs P1 other pilot logs DUAL/PUT.

Flight tests:
- Examiner logs P1 other pilot logs PICUS P1S in case of success and DUAL/PUT in the case of failure.

Quite clearly stated in LASORS. Often misunderstood.

There is *never* a case where two pilots may both log P1 - and incdentally for a PPL unless you have prior permission from the CAA PICUS may ONLY be logged in the case noted above.

Hope this helps.

Up & Away
19th Jul 2005, 17:35
We agree in principle for Instruction is Put and PPLH skills Tests is P1S to pass.
Its the LPC case that is grey and needs 'a policy' decision..
Have got the powers that be on to it.

Maybe we should all get RAF style logbooks so we can log P1(Captain) and a separate column for Captain (now called Commander) still confused??

Keygrip
19th Jul 2005, 17:50
I carried out a JAA CPL Skill Test (Aeroplane) last week - the candidate not only didn't have a current medical, but had been specifically INSTRUCTED, by the Medical Department at Gatwick, to do the CPL flight test before they would consider renewing his class 1 status.

So the short answer to the original question in this thread, "Do you need a current medical for an LPC" is "No".