PDA

View Full Version : Phasing out NDBs

RVR800
24th Jun 2005, 14:11
When will the phase out of NDBs begin in Europe one wonders?
The FAA has decreed that GPS has made them redundant as far as NPAs are concerned

What will that do to training requirements on IR and IMC rating etc...?

The are real needs to start training pilots in this ... or are the content of these ratings cast in stone, notwithstanding the march of technology.....?

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2005/050214ndb_list.pdf

A and C
24th Jun 2005, 15:22
It is quite clear that you don't understand the problem !.

GPS is no doubt far better than an NDB but it has its problems the biggest is that it is not hard to jam GPS over a wide area and if that is done what is the back up system for IFR traffic ?.

VOR and ILS systems are expensive to maintain so the good old NDB is the cheap alternative, I know this is far from ideal but I think that it will be this way for some time.

no sponsor
24th Jun 2005, 15:50
I did hear a date for the phase-out in JAA states for around 2008. But there are plenty of places in the world which will continue to use them, including Africa and Oz.

If you do your FAA IR you probably don't cover them, but I'm sure they will be in the UK IR test for some time to come.

RVR800
27th Jun 2005, 08:19
>It is quite clear that you don't understand the problem !.

..actually neither do you!

> NDB ..has its problems the biggest is that it is not hard to jam GPS over a wide area........

> The people that do the jamming (The Americans) are the people replacing the NDB and the reason they are getting rid of NDBs.... COST

>NDB is the cheap alternative

>......NOT

The NDBs that are going

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2005/050214ndb_list.pdf

High Wing Drifter
27th Jun 2005, 17:13
Having not read any of the supporting material, I imagine the transition from NDB to GPS is not possible without certifying and installing WAAS and possibly a Differential GPS infrastructure around the affected airports. I imagine these ground based solutions will maintain a good signal strength too.

http://www.garmin.com/aboutGPS/waas.html

RVR800
28th Jun 2005, 16:24
Quote Garmin......

>Currently, WAAS satellite coverage is only available in North >America

Now what a surprise......

Actually in Europe we have the Euro Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service (EGNOS).

The technology is getting better and better

Will the syllabus keep up ............................................

Its deskilling of course.....

reynoldsno1
28th Jun 2005, 21:17
I imagine the transition from NDB to GPS is not possible without certifying and installing WAAS
You don't need WAAS for GPS NPA's - it's fine by itself provided you have an IFR certificated receiver (it does things hand-helds don't)

RVR800
1st Jul 2005, 09:14
One supposes that the CAA are now working hard with their Europe counterparts in updating pilot (re)training to ensure that benefits of this technology feed through...:confused:

RVR800
4th Jul 2005, 13:33
Or then again one thinks the answer to that may be NOT....