PDA

View Full Version : Is CPL worth it?

ibaker
23rd Jun 2005, 22:46
With the fear of being rediculed for even simply posting something here (note I do use my real name :ok: ) I have been pondering on whether it is worth me going for my CPL. I am 46yo and started avaition very late so I guess there is no career reason for doing it but I do own my own aircraft so getting the hours isn't a problem. Ok, there is a small cost with instruction etc but what would the return be for me eg better understanding, knowledge etc.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Best regards
Ian

maxgrad
23rd Jun 2005, 23:23
How motivated are you?
Why do you want to be a CPL.
How motivated are you
Finances and family situation?
Where do you want to work in the industry?

Only you can answer the above and lots more. I believe anyone, if motivated can get where they want. Age may proclude you from certain choices.

Luck in your decision

Bill Smith
23rd Jun 2005, 23:53
Whatever your stage in this industry you are always learning something!
Be it for pleasure or employment the satisfaction of improving your skills and knowledge are well worth it.
There are some excellent instructors around find one and go for it.

ibaker
24th Jun 2005, 00:15
Thanks Bill - as I believed it would simply be the knowledge gained

Regards
Ian

locusthunter
24th Jun 2005, 01:16
Go for it.
If money is no object and it's something that you want to do- do it. It will make you a better pilot in that you'll have some more knowledge and more skills. The more time you spend flying next to good instructors the better you are as a private pilot anyway. It's another challenge - just like a night rating, multi-engine endorsement....etc.
All the best.

:ok:

Gerhardt
24th Jun 2005, 01:29
Not sure what it's like down under, but I know in the U.S. we're (I'm 40) past our prime for a real wage-earning fixed wing career. The instructors and schools will tell us it's not too late, and yeah we could likely land a charter job, but that's not gonna pay the light bills.

I'm thinking about helicopters and the school tells me it's a different market so I'm definitely not to old, but again I think they're blowing smoke.

So I keep my day job and fly just for the enjoyment of it...which ain't bad. This will be an interesting thread to follow to see what others have to say.

:{

tinpis
24th Jun 2005, 01:50
See a doctor.

:ugh:

takeonme
24th Jun 2005, 05:13
Ian Baker-Finch?

Is that you??

I know your golf died in the arse but I thought you were still earning a pretty penny commentating....prettier than flying anyway.

See ya hyphen

Kickatinalong
26th Jun 2005, 11:14
Ian,
It's not as easy as it looks.
Buy yourself a mirror about 6'6'' long and place it inside your front door that way everytime you come and go you can watch yourself slowly starving to death.
If you wish to PM me be my guest .
Kickatinalong.:(

locusthunter
27th Jun 2005, 05:49
Ease up fellas.... he only wants to do it for fun.
Remember when flying was fun ? :ugh:

ibaker
27th Jun 2005, 06:17
I am considering it simply for I wouldn't say fun but for what I thought would be a better understanding and knowledge of flying which in turn could only help to make flying more fun and much safer.

I have my masters degree in business (MBA) and after the years of study and commitment I had to make to me it is not worth the paper it is written on, for in the area of business there is no substitute for experience. It is from this experience that has brought about the question.

So yes I am asking is doing a CPL only good for career reasons or is there much to gain in other insights that would make the commitment worth it?

Regards
Ian

maxgrad
27th Jun 2005, 08:48
any further training can only be a good thing. If the instructor is experienced and not just out of the box, the flying school well run and good training sched.s in place.

150Aerobat
27th Jun 2005, 09:48
The only valid reason for doing the CPL is if you wish to fly for reward. If you do not have that requirement, then your money would be better spent elsewhere (PIFR / tailwheel endo / aerobatics .. whatever).

If you wish to improve your flying skills and/or knowledge, then by all means, read the books and set higher flying standards for yourself. The exams, the hours requirements, and the flight test are simply formal requirements. The standard to which you fly at is completely up to you.

locusthunter
27th Jun 2005, 15:20
ibaker,

Aren't you either doing something for fun, to make money, or to make the world a better place?

Will a CPL make you money? No- that's not your intention.
Will a CPL be fun? Maybe- if you decide it is.
Will your CPL make the world a better place? At best only slightly marginally and for the cost of it, maybe it's better instead to get other endorsements/ratings or spend more time with a good instructor- go for a check flight every 6 months instead of the "sign-me-off" BFR. With your knowledge and expreience you could read a few more theory books and this would be as valuable if not more than actually doing your CPL exams. (Although sometimes the formal study actually makes you do it rather than thinking about it).

To answer your question, will a CPL make you safer? Many will say yes but that's debatable. Paying attention to safety and increasing your knowledge and skills will make you safer. I have flown with PPL holders who know their aeroplane and are vigiliant in their approach to flying, sometimes they are more knowledgable and safer than a new CPL. On the other hand, I have flown with PPL holders with 1500+ hours who are in a word...terrible.

Most of the flying between PPL and CPL is command time anyway. The flights with a (Grade 1) instructor to bring you up to commercial standard and the general approach that you have to take to get a CPL should be good experience but there may be more beneficial ways of gaining knowledge and experience.

Of course, getting a CPL is useless unless you take a safety-conscious approach everytime you fly. Instead of CPL, you could fly with an instructor every 6 months or so to learn something instead of a "sign-me-off" BFR every two years. How are your forced landings? How are your radio calls in all types of airspace? How well do you know your systems on the aircraft you fly? Do you always brief your passengers properly? Could you do a weight and balance and performance chart for your aircraft easily? Do you have issues interpreting forecasts and putting a flight plan in the system? Can you navigate well without a GPS? Do you think about flying before you get to the airport? (i.e. weather, pressures to get home on a nav etc.)

These are basic questions but ones in which many PPL holders struggle with after a little bit of time out of the flying game or even just irregular flying.

I would rather see a private pilot who really knows her/his stuff rather than a CPL who sort of knows something or other.

...hope this helps...my thoughts for the evening...

Herc Jerk
27th Jun 2005, 16:50
Ian,

I think you answered your own question in paragraph #2 above. The CPL is an L plate after which you are allowed to have others pay for furthering your experience. So not really applicable to you unless you want the piece of paper.

The theory side of it I'm sure you will find interesting- but all that and much more is freely available on the internet, or in book form if you wish. With your background it will be fairly simple- what you don't understand you can post here where you have a wealth of us "professional pilots" ready to tell you how much we know;)

There is no substitute for experience, as you said. But you can buy time with correct techniques until you have said experience. Alas not my words:ouch: but the words of an old PNG driver. It was part of our holy trinity up there. That, beer and... well beer:rolleyes: BUT, i digress, it seems like you have an itch for some more know-how so maybe you could find an instructor of a similar vintage to yourself who has practical experience. Pay him to go flying with you and streamline your operation.

Just a thought.

HJ

<check your PMs>

DirectAnywhere
28th Jun 2005, 00:44
Ian, the "value" in a CPL is really only dependent on two things.

Firstly, the experience and quality of your instructor and second, the amount of work you're willing to put into it to get the most out of it.

Assuming you've got the second one covered as that's out of everyone else's hands, you need to make a decision about whether you can find an instructor who meets the grade. You need to ask what they're trying to achieve with their commercial training as there needs to be an overall philosophy in place prior to commencing your training. While you can pass the test by simply meeting all the applicable criteria on the CPL Test form, the actual benefit you get out of the training and licence are dependent on a lot more than simply ticking the boxes on the form.

In my opinion, if you're going to spend an extra "x" thousand dollars on a CPL - depending on your current experience levels - you'd be better putting that money into a Command Instrument Rating. While you need to consider how much money you can than spend on keeping yourself current, and I don't mean just the bare CAO 40.2.1 minimums, the experience you get from that will be far more beneficial to your overall competency levels and decision making abilities than a CPL will.