PDA

View Full Version : Armed forces admit sex harassment

vecvechookattack
23rd Jun 2005, 12:59
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4123452.stm)

johnfairr
23rd Jun 2005, 13:58
Which bright young sub-editor at the Beeb added the paragraph headings?

:ok:

Onan the Clumsy
23rd Jun 2005, 14:24
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40657000/jpg/_40657646_womensoldiers203.jpg

"Shoulders back lovely boy."

SteveStephens
23rd Jun 2005, 14:47
I was interested to see the statistics "20% of Naval women, one in eight in the Army, and 10%". Or is that, 20% of Naval women, 12.5% in the Army, and 10%......................probably just me!

An Teallach
23rd Jun 2005, 15:47
Surprisingly MoD had the wit to put Sheila Haughton up to face the 'gentlemen' of the press. She is a far cry from some of the brain-dead pension-loiterers that pass for higher personnel managers in the RAF & MoD.

Big Cat Handler
24th Jun 2005, 00:46
There is a worrying discrepancy between the proportion of people who say they have experienced sexual harassment and the actual number of formal complaints made. Isn't that the point of informal complaints? To stop the harassment before it needs formal action? You have a word, harasser apologises and starts behaving, job done with no paperwork! From these stats, maybe it's working! Or am I being a bit hopeful there?

tucumseh
24th Jun 2005, 06:23
Big Cat

Isn't that the point of informal complaints? To stop the harassment before it needs formal action? You have a word, harasser apologises and starts behaving, job done with no paperwork! From these stats, maybe it's working! Or am I being a bit hopeful there?

I think this is part of it but, significantly, until VERY recently the perpetrator was often allowed to judge his/her own case. The rules required complaints to be elevated through the management / command chain and if the perpetrator was in that chain, it put a lot of victims off. The rules have changed, allowing one to bypass management if they are the problem.

In such a robust walk of life these cases are always difficult. The last one I had to deal with, a young NCO had been over-suggestive to two older female civvies. One complained, the other admitted she loved it. A quiet word followed by an apology fixed it, as to proceed further would have been a waste of time. Common sense, now overtaken by PC.