PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for New Transport Minister?

Sunfish
23rd Jun 2005, 04:31
OK, this is a rumor forum. Anyone game to hazard a guess about who will get the transport portfolio now that Anderson's gone?

As usual, paranoid me is going to bet that it will be someone from NSW with a known fondness for QF, or a complete tool who can be easily won over to the dark side. One thing is for sure, it definitely won't be anyone from Melbourne. My guess would be that the QF Board already have a candidate in mind and the Packer press will be pushing his (or her) credentials as soon as he (or she) is announced.

This is one prediction I'd like to be wrong on.:}

flyingfox
23rd Jun 2005, 04:45
No doubt Dick is round at John's place already with his proposal on who should be minister.

travel thickness
23rd Jun 2005, 05:29
Sunfish
Why don`t you throw your hat in the ring?You could achieve everything you want then.Make Qantas Melbournecentric.

Buster Hyman
23rd Jun 2005, 05:51
Geoff Dixon. He seems to have a good working knowledge of the job already!:hmm:

18-Wheeler
23rd Jun 2005, 06:37
I'll have a go.

Anyone want to vote for me?

Woomera
23rd Jun 2005, 09:04
Deputy Prime Minister: Mark Vaile

Minister for Transport: Warren Truss.

DirectAnywhere
23rd Jun 2005, 09:24
Yow watched the ABC news with Barry Cassidy's predictions too did you WR?;)

Nope. Came to me as a rumour from a Politician of the same political persuasion.

From what I have seen of Truss, there just may be hope at last for aviation in Australia.

Woomera

Sunfish
23rd Jun 2005, 10:39
Tt, nah! I'm going for Pope next time!

tobzalp
23rd Jun 2005, 11:38
Me

tipsy
23rd Jun 2005, 11:57
None of you lot have a chance of getting that job........................you all know too much about the aviation industry.

Those are definately the wrong credentials. sorry to destroy all your expectations and aspirations.

tipsy
:yuk: :yuk: furball:yuk: :yuk:

The Voice
23rd Jun 2005, 22:38
Tipsy, you pussy! :}

Fancy encouraging them!! :E

Vref+5
23rd Jun 2005, 23:08
Vaille wil not give up the trade portfolio, too many great overseas trips involved.

Truss, as Minister for Agriculture, has a good understanding of regional issues. Besides he looks like a bushy.

Sunfish
23rd Jun 2005, 23:14
Can't be Truss, he's not from NSW.

Capt Kramer
23rd Jun 2005, 23:54
I Heard that its going to be Mark Vaile.

Rich-Fine-Green
24th Jun 2005, 15:59
It will be Vaile for sure.

As the new deputy, he can't keep the trade portfilio and cover the deputy's role domestically at the same time.

Spodman
25th Jun 2005, 00:12
I think Warren Truss has a link to aviation that can't be ignored, he was actually included in the construction of every Hawker Hurricane built, and others besides.

"...The rear fuselage followed the conventional Warren Truss girder construction techniques of the day..."

(from Geek Stuff (http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/hurri3.html) )

He was used in bridge construction also, transport is where he belongs.

Woomera
25th Jun 2005, 00:53
Hmmmm. My source of Parliamentary rumours may not be correct this time?

The Australian - Promotion to cabinet for McGauran (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,15722899%255E2702,00.html)

Transport could end up with a more junior Minister....

Woomera

Buster Hyman
25th Jun 2005, 02:25
Warren Truss eh? I heard a whisper that Warren Peace was the new Defence Minister...

gaunty
25th Jun 2005, 06:55
truss? truss? who's got my truss? Bugga is that where I left it.:uhoh: :oh:

Sunfish
26th Jun 2005, 00:54
McGauran's a lightweight whose head will be easily turned by Qwantas.

Woomera
26th Jun 2005, 00:56
Gaunty. Your prophylactic is a wheel chair - not a truss!

:}

Woomera

Redstone
26th Jun 2005, 02:08
Did Qantas own the Deputy PM?

By Michael Pascoe

Qantas no longer has the Deputy PM in their pocket, so who will they look to now?
Date: 24 June 2005
Did Qantas own the deputy PM?

Crikey Daily - Thursday, 23 June

Some people will miss John Anderson being Deputy PM and minister for transport – like Geoff Dixon and Margaret Jackson, the Qantas duo who always seemed to get most of what they wanted from “Hollywood.”

Will Mark Vaile be so available?

Suggesting Singapore Airlines should be allowed to take over Qantas probably isn't the sort of nationalistic impression the new National Party leader wanted to create this week, but that doesn't necessarily mean Vaile isn't going to prove a Qantas captive as well. Vaile's rather strange statement really means he's in favour of scrapping the limit on foreign ownership of Qantas – just what Dixon and Jackson have been wanting for years.

Vaile has generally been seen to be in the Costello camp rather than Qantas's pocket when it comes to allowing Singapore Airlines fly the Pacific route, perhaps reflecting the greater time he's spent criss-crossing the Pacific with his trade minister hat on. He's also had the (relatively) rational briefing of his departmental advisers and the embarrassment of dealing with the oddity in our free trade agreement with China.

Will all that change when he's National Party leader and has to answer to his members when Qantas threatens to withdraw a service to Woop-woop? We'll find out soon enough.

Meanwhile, there's an interesting view put in Singapore's Today newspaper by a local aviation consultant and tourism executive, Prithpal Singh, about the failure of JetStar Asia. Singh wants Singapore to go for the higher moral ground by announcing a unilateral open skies regime, starting with its ASEAN neighbours. Singh writes:

Let any number of Malaysian and Indonesian airlines fly into Singapore without demanding reciprocity. This would unclog the Singapore-KL route and bring fares down, and with Indonesia, remove the bad taste of the tit-for-tat restrictions on budget carriers."

Singapore-based JetStar Asia could become an issue if it were to fail. It's an open secret that, like the other budget carriers here, it's a money loser. There are complaints that 49% Qantas-owned JetStar Asia is not getting lucrative routes and that the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) is not trying hard enough to secure them. The CAAS has denied this.

If the complaints became louder and if Jetstar were to wind down, or Qantas were to pull out of this partnership, it would be a blow to Singapore's image and give Qantas ammunition to use against Singapore. We have to be realistic on one important point – that for all the rhetoric, it's highly unlikely we will see an open skies aviation policy fully implemented in Asia in the foreseeable future.

Three Bars
27th Jun 2005, 00:47
I think you should nominate yourself Sunfish. Then Qantas would not be subject to any bias would it?

Speaking about "tools" in your original post on this thread, I seem to recall you saying elsewhere, you worked in the "tool industry" so you sound qualified.

Ty Webb
27th Jun 2005, 01:44
What about Barney Gumble!
It`s cheaper for QF, only cost `em a slab of Duff every day or so..

He maybe over qualified though????????:hmm:

Sunfish
27th Jun 2005, 01:50
Nah! Three bars, I wouldn't stoop so low as to be Minister of Transport, it would upset my Mum. She thinks I am a piano player in a brothel.