PDA

View Full Version : Low Helicopter over South Wales

geraintw
22nd Jun 2005, 22:23
At risk of sounding a real anorak (more extremely nosey) did anyone else see the very low flying army helicopter over the Port Talbot/Porthcawl area this evening (weds 22/6 approx 1915) (lower over the house than even the National Grid air inspections)? It did a few tight circles over the pyle area then made its way in the general direction of St Athan/CWL.

Just interested in the make as couldn't work it out and whether anyone knew why it was flying so low and circling about (everyone else seems to ask these questions and occasionally gets replies!) :-) It certainly got everyone looking upwards.

GrahamCurry
23rd Jun 2005, 10:44
We get military overflights en-route to and from Otterburn Ranges. (We are also on the approach to EGNT R07, so they cross above the Curry House.) On one occasion a Chinook was VERY low (so low it lifted the leaves in the garden!). I contacted the Low Flying hotline and received the reply that by their nature, helicopter flights were 'cleared down to ground level' and there were no minima (as there are with fixed-wing a/c).
BTW I wasn't complaining, merely being curious. As far as the fixed-wings are concerned I say the lower the better (though at very low altitude they pass too quickly to identify!).