PDA

View Full Version : Big Yellow Biplane

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Jun 2005, 16:13
I live north of Blackbushe and this afternoon saw a large-ish biplane heading north towards WOD.. Painted all yellow, with an enclosed cockpit and retractable u/c. Sounded like a hefty engine too. Never seen one like it before so anyone any ideas please?

Many thanks.

PPRuNe Radar
22nd Jun 2005, 16:35
Beech Staggerwing ?? This one tootles all over the place, think it is based in the UK.

Beech Staggerwing Serial No.147 (http://www.staggerwing.co.uk/sn147.htm)

Mark Lewis
22nd Jun 2005, 17:01
Made one hell of a noise, although surpassed a short while later by an RAF jet departing Farnborough!

I only got a rear view of the bi-plane sadly :(

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Jun 2005, 17:22
Thanks very much guys - that was it! Nice aeroplane.

barit1
23rd Jun 2005, 11:28
I know of no more authoritative sound in the cosmos than a medium-to-large radial engine in cruise. My fave is the Wasp Jr. with a Hamilton Standard prop - the one you just enjoyed!

Danza
23rd Jun 2005, 11:35
*cough* Merlin ... *cough* :O sorry, couldn't resist.

aviate1138
23rd Jun 2005, 11:57
barit1 said.......

"I know of no more authoritative sound in the cosmos than a medium-to-large radial engine in cruise. My fave is the Wasp Jr. with a Hamilton Standard prop - the one you just enjoyed!"

Aviate 1138 muses.....

Having been lucky enough to get 20+ hours in the left seat of a North American B-25 around California and Oregan and Washington States I can honestly say that my ears are still singing 20 years later! The sound outside may be stirring and the chest cage throbbing from the flight deck reassuring but a little less volume would have made the flights even more acceptable than they turned out to be. I think it was the prop tips slicing away inches from one's left ear! Wright R-2600 Cyclones - never to be forgotten! What a beautiful aircraft to fly with no bombs or ammo affecting performance.
The other wonderful sound was the late evening drone of a Varsity around 10,000 feet over the Malverns with its Centaurus radials burbling away for absolutely ages whilst lying on newly mown hay bales. :)

Ah! Nostalgia!

Aviate 1138

treadigraph
23rd Jun 2005, 12:06
*cough* Merlin ... *cough*

As you're a bit throaty, how's about the Griffon!

Ah, what a Staggerwing aewoplane, definitely on the shopping list when I'm wich and infamous...