PDA

View Full Version : 757/767 Losing an engine on a go around

altaflyer
22nd Jun 2005, 11:20
Hiya, as I understand if you lose an engine on the go around with all 3 A/P's engaged the A/P's will control rudder trim. I know that once you leave G/A mode via a new lateral or vertical mode ie: HDG select or ALT CAP that two of the three A/P's will disengage. When the A/P's drop to one will the rudder center on you requiring quick manual rudder trim before the aircraft starts rolling on you? Can any one clarify what exactly happens when the system drops down to one A/P?

Cheers

extreme P
22nd Jun 2005, 12:58
Best solution is to keep feet firmly on rudders to anticipate the autopilot disengagement. Above 400' selecting a new pitch or roll mode or an ALT CAP knocks out the two autopilots.

oldebloke
22nd Jun 2005, 16:49
I was advised once long ago that prior to select the mode to 'drop' two channels of AutoP-select 12 indices of TRIM..
Cheers :ok:

Daysleeper
23rd Jun 2005, 06:31
A/P's will control rudder trim

In a 3 channel approach the A/P's control the rudder itself not the rudder trim , thus when two channels drop out, for whatever reason, the rudder reverts to its trimmed state and some fancy footwork is required to avoid rolling on ones back.

Personally I prefer to fly a single channel approach when on one engine and keep control of the rudder myself but depending on your MCP fit that may not be an option for you.

None
27th Jun 2005, 01:51
altaflyer,

The operation I am with has us acelerate at 1,000, except at special locations. At 1,000 in the GA mode, you can select a higher speed and the jet will acelerate and you can clean up to flaps 5 (or whatever your plan requires) all with 3 autopilots in control. As long as you do not have to change your GA course, you can keep 3 autopilots in control. As others have already stated, the moment you select HDG SEL or FLCH, or any of the other options, you revert back to the original autopilot, and you have the rudder at the point.

If you did a missed app (vs. the go around stated in your question), I would assume it would have been due to weather, which would have probably required APP (and 3 autopilots) selected.

altaflyer
27th Jun 2005, 12:24
Thanks for the replies.

cheers
Alta