PDA

View Full Version : Spantax CV-990 at PMI

Volume
21st Jun 2005, 06:24
Hola Amigos,

I´m going to have a stopover at PMI next month. Is there any possibility to visit the Spantax CV-990 parked at the end of the airport suffering a sad fate ?
My very first flight as a passenger was on a Spantax CV-990 back in June ´77 (CGN-GRO), when I was still a little boy. I love this everplane ever since, and still remember the view out of the cockpit onto the impressive GE-Engines lighted by the rotating beacon every second (it was a night flight...). I probably will never know, but maybe the one now parked at Palma was the first plane that ever took me to the sky, and made me decide to become a pilot. (well, later it turned out that I became an aircraft engineer, but it was reasonably close ;) )

Is there any possibility to get to this plane and take some photographs ? Any ground ops people from PMI around ?

muchos gracias

meatball
21st Jun 2005, 16:41
The old bird is still there slowly decaying under the sun. it is i think on the military portion of the airport, not 100 % sure. if so, it could probably be visited anyway, specially if you show nice manners and the genuine thrill you portray so they let you take some pictures. i think it has been used for firefighting training purposes but the last time i was in lepa it was still recognizable.
you could consider contacting AENA in Palma and asking...if you find anyone that speaks english...i can help you there if you want a letter translated...i flew also with spantax as pax as a young aspiring pilot...madrid-new york and back. in the cockpit the whole trip both ways...lots of fond memories too!!
Buena Suerte:ok:

EC-YKA
3rd Jul 2005, 00:06
When will you stopover?