PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi Airways

TinBasher
21st Jun 2005, 01:04
I noticed this morning an Iraqi Airways 737 in one of the BA hangars . Anybody got any more info?

dontdoit
21st Jun 2005, 10:22
You might be mistaking it for their B767-233 9L-LFF which was parked by the Royal Suite at Heathrow on Monday morning.

Fried_Chicken
21st Jun 2005, 10:29
Yup, 'twas an Iraqi Airways B762 (reg' 9LLFF). Was originally parked on the Royal Suite but was then moved to the BA base for a spot of attention. It arrived from America over the weekend, presumably a VIP connected flight

FC

jetstream7
21st Jun 2005, 15:00
I thought that aircraft registered in Sierra Leone (9L) were not welcome in the UK?....

ALLDAYDELI
21st Jun 2005, 19:47
it departed 27R about 1300z today. I thought I was seeing things also yesterday when it was parked on the VIP area.

Sgt.Peppeh
22nd Jun 2005, 10:50
Yeah ! I`d like to know the answer to this. I thought aircrafts registered in Sierra leone(9L) are not welcome here in the uk. ?

Sgt.

VectorLine
22nd Jun 2005, 10:59
Iraqi Airlines a/c operated by Sierra Leone airways.

Some sort of maintenance flight.

Special licence granted by the CAA for this a/c for one flight. ATC to notify authorities of it's departure.

apaddyinuk
22nd Jun 2005, 13:28
From the BA Intranet news pages....

"Iraqi Airways makes first London flight

An Iraqi airways plane with Prime Minister Ibrahim Jaafari on board made a first flight to London since sanctions were imposed in 1990 for Saddam Hussein's Kuwait invasion, the premier's spokesman said yesterday (Monday).

"The head of the government flew this morning from Kuwait to London on Iraqi airways, the company's longest flight since 1990 owing to the limited capabilities of Iraqi aircraft," Government Spokesman Laith Kubba said.

Jaafari flew on a Boeing 727, one of two planes owned by the Iraqi flag carrier, with the other being a slightly more recent Boeing 737, reported IRIB News.

Following his visit to London, Jaafari is to fly to Brussels with the same plane for an international conference on rebuilding Iraq sponsored by the European Union and United States.

Iraqi airways operates daily flights from Baghdad to Amman, and flies three times a week to the Iraqi cities of Arbil and Basra, and to the Syrian capital Damascus."

Oddly enough though it says it was a 727 here!!! Haha!!

Carnage Matey!
22nd Jun 2005, 13:36
Yeah but when did the people who write the news in BA get anything right? Particularly if it's anything related to aviation.

apaddyinuk
22nd Jun 2005, 22:35
ACTUALLY CARNAGE,
Its not written by BA, its supplied from Reuters cheeky f$%&*r!

Frangible
23rd Jun 2005, 12:10
Don't really understand this. At Baghdad two US military transports (C-17 and a C-5) have been hit by SAMs, and the DHL was hit and only miraculously made it back.
What has changed in Baghdad that you can safely operate civilian flights (and get the insurance cover)?
All the wayward SAMs now accounted for?
Security zone around the airport?
Counter-measures on the a/c?