PDA

View Full Version : SA Freight

Natit
20th Jun 2005, 15:33
Has JETCFT taken over freight in SA?

Heard on ML CTR tonight, 'JETCFT 352' departing PLC for KSC.

Isn't this the triangle that AS does or have they lost the contract?

commondog
21st Jun 2005, 03:16
Yep, I can confirm this is the case NATIT, ******** are indeed moving into SA with 3 x Caranvans. They already have some operating out of Bankstown and seem to be a right thorn in the side of the Aerocommander and tired old chieftains seeing that they can take double the payload at the same airspeeds and double the reliability.
Now freight operators being what they are would sell there mothers to move double the freight so you do the numbers and it doesnt take long to realise that the industry is in for a shake up and unless you come to the table with a van then you might best not bother. Interesting times ahead I'm sure.

tinpis
21st Jun 2005, 03:23
These Caravan things they got a radar and A/P?

Natit
21st Jun 2005, 04:16
So can anyone confirm that AS has lost the freight contract to PLC and KSC and JETCFT has now taken over?

Be a bit sad if this is the case, freight is a major part of AS operations - they'd only be left with charter and the mining contracts.

questil
21st Jun 2005, 09:47
yes that is correct as have lost the papers. dont know about the crays tho as they were normally backloads. the mining contracts are under the microscope as well.............the only constant is change

olderbutyzer
22nd Jun 2005, 01:11
I heard that the charter they do to a far north mining town twice weekly is rarely ever on time. The previous operator (which AS undercut) was always on time. When you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!

Natit
22nd Jun 2005, 02:58
Didn't they get the E110 especially for the run up to YCGR? Since they've now lost the freight contract and may lose the mining contract also, what's left for them - charter? (Of which there would be minimal around SA considering there's a few other charter mobs around YPAD)

It was only recently MK was in The Advertiser talking about how he has expanded the business and purchased new aircraft. Now what?

morning mungrel
22nd Jun 2005, 04:37
Double the payload huh. I'd like to see that........

OCTA
22nd Jun 2005, 08:15
1544kg, 175kts and 200ltrs an hour, show me a piston that can compete with that MM.
By the way JC only have metro's in YPAD.

morning mungrel
23rd Jun 2005, 01:22
Maybe you misunderstood. The assertion was double the payload. I can tell you they don't. Operated both over the same sectors and same conditions. If it is going to carry double what we use now, then you better make room for 1900kg. I know a caravan won't do that. Slower, too. But only 5 to 8 knots, so no problem there. You guys need to stop reading Cessna advertisements I think. I'm not saying they aren't the future, because they will be. But at least use real comparisons.

Just as an edit, Jet A, your reference goes straight to the Cessna website. Well duh. Try getting that payload in a Caravan that actually has more equipment in it than an A/H.........

morning mungrel
23rd Jun 2005, 02:05
No mate, not anything to do with S.A. actually. My comparison is based on our own operation, under our local conditions. They are the future, that much is certain. My point was some perspective is needed. All manufacturers tell lies, especially when compared to real world usage. As an aside, if I were to compare the Caravan with my preferred piston option, (which we don't/no longer operate), it's lead is even less in some respects. (404 or Queenair Excalibur)

Being competitive isn't always about payload and speed. Cost competitiveness is also something the customer is interested in...

Natit
23rd Jun 2005, 02:42
The triangle was operated by an SW4 last night, so obviously the van's haven't arrived yet.