PDA

View Full Version : Reds - Fuel wasters

FEBA
20th Jun 2005, 10:33
The Reds flew over the village pub last night at 2000 approx in two groups, one of five and one of four. Obviously returning home.
Very nice boys and thank you for remembering it was my birthday.

Please tell me, why do you have to fly so low??
A - It's bloody dangerous, all those C150's etc etc in class G that don't read your notams.
B - It's a waste of fuel.

Bob Viking
20th Jun 2005, 10:53
You kind of answered your own question there.
"Very nice boys, and thanks for remembering it was my birthday."
If they'd been saving fuel at Flight Level blah you wouldn't have even noticed them would you!
Low level is where fast jets belong. It's much more fun.
BV

FEBA
20th Jun 2005, 13:22
Thanks Bob,
It was meant to be a tongue in cheek remark. I did'nt actually ask them to fly over the pub. I have a lot of FJ traffic over my gaffe and they are all at high level, presumably until the LL entry point. Why do they Reds have to do the entire sortie at low level?
It's dangerous to both them and other traffic
and
It's a waste of fuel!
:cool:

Pilgrim101
20th Jun 2005, 15:12
Personally, I think they are scared of heights !! :}

charliegolf
20th Jun 2005, 15:17
Well everyone knows the further you fall the more it hurts!

Onan the Clumsy
20th Jun 2005, 15:35
Well. it was decided a long time ago to call them the Red Arrows and that was ok when we were flying biplanes, but as every aeronautical engineer knows, red paint just doesn't hold up in the high speed environment. Think about it, do you ever see any other fast jets painted red?

So they had a problem that they could solve one of two ways, they could rebrand themselves as the Blue Arrows, but it hardly has the same panache does it? Anyway back in the sixties one of our back room boys was playing around with his equipment and he realised that if he could invent an apparatus that could project the image of the jet travelling towards the viewer at extreme speed, the aircraft would appear to be red due to the doppler shift.

So, not many people know this, but the Arrows actually perform their display above 20,000 ft where they use the Coltingham Projector to beam an image down to the local village fete. Everyone's happy, the bug smashers are safe, the fuel bill is small enough for a round of G&Ts for the entire squadron after the show and the NIMBYs are happy because the display is almost silent.

Now I know you're going to scoff at this, but go to their website and pull up their schedule. Did you notice how during the summer they actually appear at several villege fetes at the same time? That's because they now include a Nimrod on the team to receive and rebroadcast the Coltingham Projection. Very clever indeed. In fact if fuel bills go much higher, you might see the entire team consisting solely of the Nimrod and the mess VCR. I hope they remember to change the tape first though.

:8

BOAC
20th Jun 2005, 15:37
MJ has given you one very good reason, and having 'been there and done that' I can assure you that taking 10 aircraft across the busy UK airspace at high level can result in significant extra miles flown and a lot of work for a busy ATC system to get 2 separate formations around, and if there is any weather about, getting 10 down (no, not a crossword:D ) can be a bit of a challenge. Straight lines can be drawn without worrying about airways, and only minor deviations are required to avoid CTAs and the like. Throw in to that that if the team regularly 'arrived' at their display site in groups of 3, 5 minutes apart off an ILS, what would the audience think of it so far................:D

If the distances are significant, it is done at high level with the associated penalties.

Edited for Onan: I think, with the new Bush/Blair accord, it is done with AWACS? Of course, you show your age talking about a 'VCR'

Onan the Clumsy
20th Jun 2005, 18:26
British technology don't you know. None of this damned digital nonsense. I always say if it was good enough to stop Hitler etc etc.

FEBA
20th Jun 2005, 20:45
Onan
It is possible that you may have let the cat out of the bag. Expect a visit late at night

appear at several villege fetes at the same time

What's the next villege Onan :E

FJJP
20th Jun 2005, 23:13
Sorry, Onan - you have gone that step too far. The Nimrod participation is highly classified, and the Coltingham Projector is on the codeword list.

I have had no option but to report you to the appropriate authorities, who are now investigating.

Expect a visit from men in black in the infamous black Omega...

SASless
20th Jun 2005, 23:26
Well now if they fly close formation....why not just follow the Nimrod down the ILS....and ziggy over to the fete en mass? Somehow the thought of following a Nimrod could be said of most military formations....aerial or on foot.

Muff Coupling
22nd Jun 2005, 20:29
Reds as fuel wasters...yep..makes sense. Disband them and save the public the agony of 28 formation changes in 30 odd minutes. Still thats time for a leg over in the motor, tom tit, latte grande and still make it back to crowd centre for a much more punchy Frecce Tri Co display :}

CarPete
23rd Jun 2005, 15:11
Don't disband the Reds, how on earth would I get out of airshows first except when the utterly dull as well as waste of fuel are doing their thing at the end and the great unwashed anorak wearing sunburned proles are looking up saying ' ooooh aren't they great mavis'

The only ones worse are that Spanish bunch of set piece merchants, give me some Blue Angels or the like anytime.

SwitchMonkey
23rd Jun 2005, 15:31
It is quite possible that the mighty 'rod would use more fuel per hour than the Reds! Add on the cost of pies, curry etc and the Reds start to look like value for money!

mbga9pgf
23rd Jun 2005, 18:28
So, lets get this right, the Reds are at fault for not making the C150 pilots read notams then?

Oh yeah, i Get it....

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Or how about you should be glad to hear the sound of freedom in your local?

BEagle
23rd Jun 2005, 18:41
Whilst many in the mob gently take the pi$$ out of the 'Team', the Arrows are consummate professionals who have managed to fight off all the attempts of avaricious beancounters intent on clipping their wings...

Good luck, Reds, long may you prosper!

:ok:

Pontius Navigator
23rd Jun 2005, 21:36
Beags, mind you they pissed us off right Royally at Akrotirii.

Not really their fault but the Staish. Mess rules were very tight, no flying suits, no flip flops etc etc. And there were the Reds in flying suits and flip flops and the Staish fawning all over them.

Ok Ok, bit like the VC10s. They didn't want it but WTH they had to do it so often why not be comfortable with it.

On the question of are they worth it? Saw a pair of Mirage Vs at Waddo, looked like they were tied together. Now watching heavy metal doing the routine is something else again.

vecvechookattack
23rd Jun 2005, 21:40
I seem to remember a French Fighter School that when teaching Formation actually tied the aircraft together.....Four aircraft all tied together with a bit of rope. ....very impressive

Green Meat
23rd Jun 2005, 22:32
Yes, with the pilots mange-ing some Camembert and sharing a dog-eared Galouise Blue...

JimNich
24th Jun 2005, 09:40
CharlieGolf - Everyone knows its not the fall that hurts you.

mbga9pgf - I, like many, don't have any real hard feelings about The Reds one way or the other. Lots of people get huge amounts of enjoyment out of watching them and that's good enough for me. However, I'm of the mind that its the ABSENCE of the noise of military grade jet engines that's the sound of freedom.

Then again, its really down to how you define freedom now isn't it.:hmm:

kippermate
24th Jun 2005, 09:53
This might sound a bit sycophantic, but I think the Reds are tops. They may have been a bit full of themselves in the past (I remember one introducing himself as Red 4, in the Mess!), but I think that those days have gone and there are some good guys in the team.

Keep it up!

:ok:

kipper

FEBA
24th Jun 2005, 16:39
Well I never MB9G or whatever your name is:
you should be glad to hear the sound of freedom in your local?

The true sound of freedom is
"Why don't you go down to the pub tonight with your mates"
ended with
"I hear the Reds will be flying over the Lord Brabazon at ANO minimum tonight"

Now that is the true sound of freedom. As for all this; "it's safer at low level than it is in class A at FL280" what a load of cod's.

I'm going to complain to president Blair about the money that these blokes in red boiler suits waste. Red is a non PC colour anyway, that unduly upsets Bulls when flying at low level. So fly high save fuel and think of the bulls.
Thank you

vecvechookattack
24th Jun 2005, 16:41
Maybe they fly at low level so that people can see them. Otherwise, what would be the point in having your Number 1 PR machine flying at FL nosebleed.

Nope, keep them low level and then people can see them as they fly around the country.

watchman2005
24th Jun 2005, 17:56
"project the image of the jet travelling towards the viewer at extreme speed, the aircraft would appear to be red due to the doppler shift."

I'm sorry to say that this would again make the the 'Blue Arrows' as the doppler shift would be to the blue end of the spectrum as the wavelength of the light is shortened with the relatavistic closing velocity of the objects.

Having said all that, it is a brilliant explanation to why the Rads seem to be at almost every air event at the same time.

Pontius Navigator
24th Jun 2005, 18:54
FEBA, spoken like a true Blue Tory from Oxbridge :O

You imagine that Labour would back a different colour for the Reds. :=

I am joking if course

wg13_dummy
24th Jun 2005, 19:10
Maybe they fly at low level so that people can see them. Otherwise, what would be the point in having your Number 1 PR machine flying at FL nosebleed.
Nope, keep them low level and then people can see them as they fly around the country.

Surely if they flew higher, more people would see them? :rolleyes:

Runaway Gun
24th Jun 2005, 19:16
The Reds do provide entertainment and more importantly, inspiration to those who have dreams of becoming well trained aviators in the military. Many of todays best RAF personnel (not just pilots) first became interested in such a career after witnessing the RAFAT do their thing with such expertise.

Also, remember that these guys have buckets of experience in other forms of flying, much of it operational FJ, and have proven themselves in the past. Simply put - they are very good at what they do. If the guys get pride out of their new job - then good on them, I think they deserve it. They work many more weekends than a majority of other RAF employees. I simply find it wierd that they get such a bad rap from others in the military.

Why complain about them flying at low level whilst en-route to another display? It's all about exposure, and bang-for-the-buck. They're just making the most of their assets.

Tourist
24th Jun 2005, 19:57
Agreed, in the air they are a fine and inspirational example to all. Its just such a pity that they are such t@ssers in the bar/ at the airshow:E

STANDTO
24th Jun 2005, 20:25
for ten million a year....

Finally get that Vulcan airborne. A more impressive sight at an airshow you will not see.

A hawk solo, or even 2 ship display at EVERY two-bit airshow.

rebuild a mossie and put it on the BBMF

return a Javelin to flying condition

return a Phantom toflying condition

return a UK lightning to flying condition

have a 2 ship typhoon display team.

........any more takers?

KENNYR
24th Jun 2005, 21:31
Totally agree STANDTO. The funds used to finance the team could be put to better use. There will always be those that say that the Arrows are British ambassadors, good advertising for recruitment etc etc.............but the display and the aircraft are really outdated. Now a display team of Spitfires........oh yeah!!!

Always_broken_in_wilts
25th Jun 2005, 01:43
I love the Reds but for ten million a year....

What about refurbish every piece of singly/married peeps accomodation:ok:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Onan the Clumsy
25th Jun 2005, 02:33
for ten million a year....

Well I suppose you could run the team for 20,000 years for the price of GWII, though in fairness you'd have to do a currency conversion.

Norman Nimrod
25th Jun 2005, 09:18
They are a total waste of time space and oxygen as far as I am concerned ..

I was posted to CFS Flight Planning at Scampton in 92/93 and had to go in on a Sunday around 2.30 to check our Notam board for hazards if the reds were transitting back from a display .. I would have to check the return route and note any hazards around their track .. one of the pilots would then phone me and I would give him the gen .. half the time they wouldnt phone.

And I just loved it when I used to get home to find they had used the smoke in one of their slots and the wifes washing stunk of diesel !! .. made my life so much fun !!

Standing joke at Scampton at the time :

"Whats the difference between a Reds Hawk and a pair of boxers ??" .. you can only get one d**k in a pair of boxers !!

.. Not meant as a slur against the guys who fly the green and grey buisness end of the Air Force ..

FEBA
25th Jun 2005, 10:36
Nothing against the men in red quickfit fitter suits doing the stuff infront of an audience, but,

1) It's not an efficient way of transiting from base to the display at LL
2) It's more dangerous at LL than in controlled airspace (by the way when they transit to N America do they do it at LL, NO)
3) It annoys some and therefor produces the complete opposite of the desired effect.

So; red men, remember you don't own the skies, you share it with the rest of us. Quit b%ggering around/ showing off at low level, be safe, save gas, fly high.
Thank you

Bob Viking
25th Jun 2005, 10:54
I'm a bit dissapointed that there aren't more people on this forum prepared to defend the boys in red. I for one think they do an excellent job. Having met the team a few times and knowing guys who are about to join I can assure you they are a decent bunch.
Leads me to wonder if Tourist has ever actually met and talked to them or if he is just jumping on someone elses bandwagon.
Lastly, I can't believe I'm about to do this but I must agree with vecvec that the simple reason they are at low level is for exposure. If they were up higher they would probably not get noticed as much and wouldn't seem quite so spectacular.
Yes it may be safer up high but then only those people paying for an airshow would get to see them. I think they are probably responsible for an awful lot of RAF applications over the years so lets stop bitching shall we.
BV

caspertheghost
25th Jun 2005, 11:46
Damn right Bob. All these clowns who slag off the Reds because it's "cool" should listen to themselves sometimes.
FEBA. Obviously they don't transit to the States at LL, I think they might run into a bit of a fuel snag after about an hour.
:E
Another reason they fly at LL when transiting is to "drop in" on peoples weddings etc. when they can. You can phone up and request flybys from them, people do it every day, and if they can make it, they will. What better PR do we get in the RAF these days? Those crappy adverts on TV? Mmmmm, they sure would encourage me to sign up:yuk:
To suggest they are (as you so eloquently put it) "b%ggering around/ showing off at low level" is an insult to the dedication and professionalism of the team.

Why is it always the wannabes/can't do's that moan and slag off those that have success?

Skylark4
25th Jun 2005, 17:08
They are suposed to be showing off. That's what they're for.

Mike W

ShyTorque
25th Jun 2005, 17:13
Never before has there been such a strong smell of sour grapes! :rolleyes:

FEBA
25th Jun 2005, 17:35
casper
an insult to the dedication and professionalism of the team.

To suggest that the RED Arrows transiting policy be reviewed is not an insult to their professionalism. It is, however, an over reaction from yourself.
On this occaision, last Sunday, they were high speed transits in two formations through LFA6. They were heading along a ridge (usually used by Tucanos LL nav route) heading roughly east. During the weekend this area is densly crowded with gliders, light piston aircraft not to mention a parachute airfield very close by. They could have easily collided with a light piston flying into sun and the wreckage would have fallen onto a village below. Whereas, had they been flying at less densly populated altitudes the risk of collision is greatly diminished.
I have no brief regarding their flying or formation skills. They are, I believe, a good advert for the RAF, but they run the risk of acheiving precisely the opposite if they are invloved in a collision with light civvy traffic during the weekend by sticking to what I believe to be an unsafe transiting policy.
What's their number for booking a flypast next week??? Only joking :E

BEagle
25th Jun 2005, 18:44
Don't be such an utter ar$e! It is far, far safer for the Reds to transit at a level not normally used by GA than up in 'Indian Territory' with all the Cherokees, Warriors, Tomahawks etc...

Jealous, moaning civvies who would doubtless give their eye teeth to sit in a Hawk, let alone fly in one should rest assured that the RAFAT has been flying quite safely around the UK for decades - so don't look for problems where non exist!

PPRuNe Radar
25th Jun 2005, 19:07
A professional team who are masters of their trade. I don't see a big problem with them flying down in the weeds, after all, that's what most of the pilots careers have consisted of. They have the best training possible to do so.

Jealous, moaning civvies who would doubtless give their eye teeth to sit in a Hawk, let alone fly in one should rest assured that the RAFAT has been flying quite safely around the UK for decades - so don't look for problems where non exist!

But let's not try and make them out as Gods who can do no wrong. They are human and make the occasional screw up like the rest of us. For example, the electricity wire strike in the Highlands a few years back ?? Definitely avoidable and a potential loss of aircraft and life.

FEBA
25th Jun 2005, 22:13
Beagle
Don't be such an utter ar$e!
You hold a civil tongue when you're argueing with me sir. There's already been one mud slinging thread about you, no need to give cause for another.
as for:
far safer for the Reds to transit at a level not normally used by GA
seems to indicate that you agree with my concerns. let's hope your histrionic support of weekend LL flying by RAFAT doesn't shoot you in the foot.
Jealous moaning civvies....give me a break!:mad:

BEagle
25th Jun 2005, 22:30
Comments such as "Please tell me, why do you have to fly so low??
A - It's bloody dangerous, all those C150's etc etc in class G that don't read your notams.
B - It's a waste of fuel.

".....the men in red quickfit fitter suits.... "

are totally and utterly proctological. Very few GA aircraft fly at 500 ft outside known aerodromes (including microlight and gliding sites) - I'd far sooner see the RAFAT flying below me at 250-1000ft in Class G airspace than up in the 2000-3000 ft height band where most of us spamcan drivers fly. If you think that the RAFAT should transit at higher levels, try threading a 9 or 10-ship formation around UK weather at medium level... As for flying in Regulated Airspace, that is rarely practical given the locations of many display venues.

RAFAT transits have been entirely safe for decades. There is simply no case to answer.

Megaton
26th Jun 2005, 08:24
BEagle is irritatingly correct as usual :) Any higher than 1000' ft and you run into GA. Any lower and the likelihood of birdstrike increases markedly. Also, they won't perform flypasts for weddings etc but every now and then someone gets lucky. With TOTs to make, flying in controlled airspace would be a nightmare with all the restrictions that it would impose. And it does look like most of the detractors here have probably neither met nor flown with the current Team who are, on the whole (:uhoh: ), a decent bunch.

FEBA
26th Jun 2005, 09:52
Right, Beagle - self appointed judge and jury of the military forum- Please consider this:
1) a quick trawl of the web indicates that 14 airproxes have occured with the Reds in the last three years all with light traffic. 2) Do you consider that your average microlight pilot, departing from a private strip for a local jolly, contacts the Reds freefone nbr Alfens Ops, alerts CANP etc. If you do; read this
Re: Close Shave,Tuesday 22-Aug-2000 11:46:53,

A very concise report of what must have been a very nasty experience.If the Tornado was transiting from Scotland to an air show in the South of England what the heck was it doing at 2400 feet over Cambridge. The air is stuffed with small slow light aircraft below 3000 feet. The RAF should have more sense than to go belting through this lot at 450 knots or so.,Barry Plumb,[email protected],,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,

Re: Close Shave,Wednesday 23-Aug-2000 02:35:16,

Count me and Claire in for a trip to West Drayton either Weekend or evening.Interesting that West Drayton confirmed they had seen your airprox (and wondered!). Would London Information be able to provide a service? I don't really want to have a Radar service and radio contact every time I fly but if that's the only safe way.......Claire and myself have had experiences in a similar location as yourselves. One was a Tornado500ft below right to left directly underneath as we were climbing away through 1000ft from Sutton Meadows having just taken off. Another was the entire RAF Red Arrows display team in loose formation at about 800ft (we were at about 1200ft) below and in front 2 miles North of Sutton Meadows. On both occasions we were flying a 3 axis microlights with no strobe and no transponder but highly visible and close to two airfields with intense microlight activity.The farm strip that I fly from now is marked on the chart but that doesn't seem to deter regular visits through the airfield pattern at 200 - 300ft by Tornado's which are more interested in the radio tower close by for their turning point.I just wonder what their flight planning consists of and whether their maps actually show small civil airfields or just military fields and bombing ranges.Safe Flying!?,Vic Leggott,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Re: Close Shave,Tuesday 29-Aug-2000 06:38:38,

Glad you're still with us Andy and Alan it seems the RAF are a law unto themselves a freind of mine was missed by only 150 feet on final approach to Popham by an F15 at 250 feet altitude !! He was following a GPS track with his head down in the cockpit. Nasty.,Alan Gornall,[email protected],,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Cotton wrapped Crabs
Clearly some of you crabs, and ex crabs, are very touchy about your one and only display team, to the point that you become rather rude about innocent crew room style banter, which many of you enjoy and even encourage. I'm pretty sure that all of you have poked fun at the Reds expense, in the past. So some of the comments you have made on this thread makes you hypocrites, in my opinion.
Not once have I asked for the Reds to be disbanded, they are, as far as the majority of the country is concerned, a good PR machine for the RAF, long may it continue :ok:
Mil Low Flying
This can be divided into two categories
1) Need to do
2) Nice to do
The Reds, in my opinion, do not fall into category 1 as a general rule.

So, my dear Reds, when uncle Beagle comes and tucks you in at night and reads you the latest from JSP 500 and something. Consider; is it safer down there with the GA hoodies, or would the next transit to Widdecombe fair be safer along lower airways?
Save a bit of petrol too !
:zzz:

BEagle
26th Jun 2005, 10:23
FEBA, you're just digging yourself a bigger and bigger hole over this issue....

If you don't want to listen to my views, fair enough. But Ham Phisted has explained the problems quite succinctly.

And some of those quotes about 'Close Shave' show some very naive views indeed:

"Would London Information be able to provide a service? I don't really want to have a Radar service and radio contact every time I fly but if that's the only safe way"

"The farm strip that I fly from now is marked on the chart but that doesn't seem to deter regular visits through the airfield pattern at 200 - 300ft by Tornado's which are more interested in the radio tower close by for their turning point."

"If the Tornado was transiting from Scotland to an air show in the South of England what the heck was it doing at 2400 feet over Cambridge"

"...it seems the RAF are a law unto themselves a freind of mine was missed by only 150 feet on final approach to Popham by an F15 at 250 feet altitude !! He was following a GPS track with his head down in the cockpit"

:rolleyes:

FEBA
26th Jun 2005, 10:56
Beagle
Now I agree with you. Yes they do show unsophistcated views from clear amatuers; and that's exactly my point. These are types that the Reds will and have come up against during WEEKEND flying. QED. There's got to be a safer way.
I'll pass the shovel over to you mate :ok:
Actually I have flown with an ex Red. Nice bloke but a bit boring

RTR
26th Jun 2005, 14:58
"...it seems the RAF are a law unto themselves a freind of mine was missed by only 150 feet on final approach to Popham by an F15 at 250 feet altitude !! He was following a GPS track with his head down in the cockpit"

I don't think that is correct. The RAF have practiced their skills to the nth degree over many decades.

Your friend, whether on a GPS track or not, at 100' should not have his head in the cockpit (assuming that is what you meant!). At Popham, and that height, he should have his eyes on the stalks. Probably on short finals too! Sounds more than a little crass to me - and it depends on which runway he was approaching. :rolleyes:

Mad_Mark
26th Jun 2005, 16:43
RTR, I think you'll find he meant the F-15 driver had his head inside the office ;) But how the civie on finals at 150' managed to see the F15 pilot heads down in his cockpit as he went above him - Lord only knows :cool:

MadMark!!! :mad:

RTR
26th Jun 2005, 16:55
Ummmm! Thanks MM I did wonder hence my comment. Soooo....to :rolleyes: I will add :confused: and then add ;)

Methinks that little delight, figment, was aboard at the time. :E

Hydraulic Palm Tree
26th Jun 2005, 17:34
Popham is also in LFA 1 which is in the Rotary Region. As many of you know, flying fast movers below 2000ft in that LFA is very rare indeed.

HPT

ShyTorque
26th Jun 2005, 20:01
FEBA - you seem to have a very strong view but seem to quote others only. Do you have a pilot's licence yourself (nothing shown on your profile) and if so, how much low flying experience do you have?

Just intrigued whether your view is a qualified one or if you just have an axe to grind... :confused:

FEBA
26th Jun 2005, 21:29
Shy torque
Yes I hold a licence an No I have no axe to grind.
I remember talking some time ago to a mate who was held on the ground (LON - BRU) due to an ATC computer failure. His company offered him a special VFR departure option which would get him away pronto. It was rejected and rightly so.
it's a jungle down there so I wonder why would the Reds want to risk mixing it when to and from displays.
Yes I have done a spot of c&p merely to illustrate the calibre of pilot you find between 500 - 5000 RPS.
I do not accept that I'm digging myself a hole, as one has suggested, and will humbly admit error should I be proved wrong. I just don't think I am.
The Reds TRA's and R313 gets busted during weekdays by Mil pilots. Weekends; far more risky.
The money that the reds save by going high can be spent on hand outs for the kids ...... future Reds!

BEagle
26th Jun 2005, 22:37
"Clearance for Special VFR flight in the UK is an authorization by ATC for a pilot to fly within a Control Zone although he is unable to comply with IFR. In exceptional circumstances, requests for Special VFR flight may be granted for aircraft with an all-upweight exceeding 5700 kg and capable of flight under IFR."

Would an 'ATC computer failure' really be considered an 'exceptional circumstance' sufficient for CAT to depart the Class A CTR at 'LON' (or do you mean LHR?) en-route to Brussels? Or was it a small aeroplane?

RTR
26th Jun 2005, 23:01
FEBA, you are out of the league. Stop trying to mix it with those whose lives are deeply attached to the real FJ world. So let us forget that all you wanted to do was impress us. Sorry but we are hoof tired for such nonsense.

SmilingKnifed
27th Jun 2005, 03:39
I fail to see how the ever decreasing volume of LFS traffic can cause such panic.

A. Get a radar service

and/or

B. Look out

or

C. Don't go flying if you can't accept a risk.

Megaton
27th Jun 2005, 07:42
FEBA,

On what basis do you make your assertion that R313 gets busted by mil traffic? Sorry, mate, but you're talking out of your ar$e!

Widger
27th Jun 2005, 08:38
FEBA,

What about the GA pilot that decided to fly straight through the Reds display off the Isle of Wight recently. That was a great bit of airmanship.

On both occasions we were flying a 3 axis microlights with no strobe and no transponder but highly visible

No strobe or transponder....how does that make you highly visible in a microlight? This means that you cannot be seem on TCAS and unlikely to be seen on ATC radars either.

The farm strip that I fly from now is marked on the chart

Which chart is it marked on? Is it an avoid? If not then it is also your responsibility to look out.

a freind of mine was missed by only 150 feet on final approach to Popham by an F15 at 250 feet altitude !! He was following a GPS track with his head down in the cockpit.

Why did he have his head down? If you meant the F15...well there are two pairs of eyes in that jet. What about your friend's aircraft? Was your friend transponding? Did he have his strobes off as well?

Now some facts. January to June 2004.

Airprox GA versus Military 12
GA versus GA 21

Source UKAB report GA book number 10.

Now whilst there is no doubt that seeing a fast jet at late notice can be an unnerving experience ther are many ways to mitigate the risk to yourself.

Look out the window.

Buy and use a High Intensity Strobe light.

Get a transponder and use it.

Get yourself at least a FIS from an appropriate LARS unit.

Don't assume, check. Before you take off, launch, tow that glider..check the airspace first. A formation of 9 red jets is not that difficult to see. A microlight is.

Remember if you are low and slow, your slow rate of bearing change makes you much more difficult to see.

Don't fly at 500' 1000' 1500' because that is where everyone else is!

My vote is for the Reds. It is one of the few positive PR elements that the RAF has these days. The RN has HMS Victory and the Army have the Royal Horse Artillery.

Get it into perspective

AllTrimDoubt
27th Jun 2005, 10:19
I've been looking at HMS Victory for the last 15 mins and its bearing hasn't changed at all! Nor is it displaying strobes!

PPRuNe Pop
27th Jun 2005, 12:39
You know what FEBA?!

I am closing this thread to save you anymore embarassment. Your last post clinched it. :sad: :O