PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter's flying down the runway

sirwa69
19th Jun 2005, 06:40
I have just been near Bahrain airport and noticed a military helicopter making a pass down the runway line about 500 feet high.
This is something I have noticed at many airports throughout the world on regular basis and wondered why?

Anybody know what they might be looking for?

On On

Rollingthunder
19th Jun 2005, 07:03
Dusting?...........................

eastern wiseguy
19th Jun 2005, 07:06
What about they have just flown an instrument approach to that runway and are

(a) overflying for another
(b) departing the airfield
(c) manoeuvring to their parking spot
(d) none of the above

I work at an airport which has MANY helicopters and in my experience the above list covers most occasions.

:ok: :ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Jun 2005, 07:47
Never seen it happen in 35 years in aviation so it can't be that usual.. Have you seen it in the UK?

Standard Noise
19th Jun 2005, 09:34
We quite often get all types of military rotaries carrying out approaches at Brizzel. They get them up at Filton too.

Richard Taylor
19th Jun 2005, 09:53
I've never seen a helicopter here myself...

Rainboe
19th Jun 2005, 11:50
Was it leaving a chemical trail? We call them chemtrails in the industry. Very suspicious.

frostbite
19th Jun 2005, 11:56
Quite common for helicopters to carry out ILS etc., at Southend - medical and police are frequent users of facility.

Jerricho
19th Jun 2005, 15:28
Never seen it happen in 35 years in aviation so it can't be that usual.. Have you seen it in the UK?

Bren, you're showing how many night shifts you didn't do. ;)

Police 25A wasn't unknown to shoot a paractice ILS on their way back to Brooklands.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Jun 2005, 15:55
Yeah, but the guy suggested that helis flying 500 ft down the runway was commonplace. I've seen many heli ILS approaches at LHR but none that ended in the guy flying down the runway at 500 ft.

Barnaby the Bear
19th Jun 2005, 21:38
It could well be 400', or less. I don't know sirwa69's background, but how many people without experience are good at judging heights?
'Bloody aircraft was 20' above my chimney!!!'

But i would also bet they are on a missed approach following some sort of instrument approach training. :}

sirwa69
20th Jun 2005, 09:40
500' or 400', whatever :rolleyes:
IT was above the runway and definately flying along the centreline.
I have seen this very frequently here in Bahrain and also in Dubai, Kuwait, Qatar and I am pretty certain that I spotted one at LHR a few years ago as well.

Could be an ILS approach as it came in on the same line as a fixed wing,

Just wondered thats all :8

On On

Gargleblaster
20th Jun 2005, 09:55
Not at all mysterious.

Many airports require helicopters to fly the same patterns as fixed wing aircraft. This means e.g. when VFR, they follow the traffic pattern.

Also, once "landed" on the runway, they are required to hover taxi above the taxiways. Looks absurd, but probably safest that all traffic follows the same pattern.

sirwa69
21st Jun 2005, 09:45
Gargleblaster

You know that's probably it :}

The more I think about it, I would expect a helicopter landing at the airport to go straight to the landing pad and it is the fact that it is travelling right down the runway line which I find strange :confused:

Flying the same patern as a fixed wing but of course not actually touching down is probably the explanation.

Thank you :ok:

On On

GrahamCurry
23rd Jun 2005, 10:53
EGNT requires helis to approach at 90 degrees to the active runway, then follow the runway line in hover-taxi to their turn-off taxi-way (though usually at 20ft rather than 500 . . . ).

mtogw
24th Jun 2005, 09:12
Bahrain Airport is home to USN Sea Stallions and Sea Kings and they daily fly in and out whichever way and normal routine is to land/take off on runway or very close and ground taxi like everyone else, they supply ships in the gulf with bits and pieces etc...