PDA

View Full Version : PA/Intercom systems in light singles?

Lakeflyer
19th Jun 2005, 00:31
Hi looking for info on anybody using a PA or multiple headset system in C-206 or the likes thereoff? We currently operate 206 float planes on short air safaris up to an hour long, at the moment we have a PA speaker system that is less than ideal as it leaves the puntters exposed to the good old engine noise. We have had headsets on everybody before but they were wreaked easily. Does anybody use a headset and intercom system that is easily fitted to the cessna and somehow has the headsets hung or kept off the seats and out of the lake?

Dupre
19th Jun 2005, 00:59
I took a ride in the Otter a while back, and the set-up was great.

In the 152's I trained in, there was a simple piece of wire attached to the roof, which bent around to form a hook for each headset.

Do you lose many headsets to the lake!?

Cheers,

Dupre.

Ronnie Honker
19th Jun 2005, 01:08
I rigged one up in the Caravan, using 4 speakers, 2 on each side, and adapted one of those mic. systems you see the bikers using to comms with each other (got the idea at a Hogs meet).
You're right about the headsets, they get abused by the pax, bending and twisting them, or sitting on them.
Speakers are the go - they really get their attention.
With headsets, some of the wonkers used to take them off and would try talking over the top of me.

Sunfish
19th Jun 2005, 07:37
I would have thought a five dollar refundable headset charge would fix it.

Lakeflyer
19th Jun 2005, 20:25
All good ideas, I would like to see a intercom system with headsets so the idea of some sort of rack above the punters heads is ideal (like the otters) any info on similar hooks/hangers is appreciated.

No we don't lose so many headsets however the keys did take a swim the other day! :O

1McLay
21st Jun 2005, 07:53
Hey Lakeflyer

We use a intercom system in a C206 for scenic flights.

Works well when you've got the volumes/squelch all set up right. We use cheap headsets because, yes they do get given a hard time. We also dont have any means of hanging them up (although I've seen a 206 with those wire hangers before). What I normally do is get the pax in and belted up, then issue them with their headset and plug it in for them, avoiding them geting squashed etc. Might be a bit harder to do in the F/P without feeding them to the trout?

We dont give em to kids because they will get wrecked and they find it funny shouting into the mic just when your getting a clearence. A polite excuse that we dont have any to fit little Timmy does the trick.

Hows that Otter going for you guys?

regards

1M

Lakeflyer
23rd Jun 2005, 02:10
Yea sounds like options are limited but will be looking into the hooks.

1M the otter is getting there, its done about 80hrs since feb when it started ATO's. Hopefully the summer will see it very busy.

ZK-Altitude
23rd Jun 2005, 02:49
I love the grunty old radial in your Otter, beats the crap out of those poofy turbines they are using in Canada. ;)

http://www.thabetaviation.ca/images/aircraft/73_1.jpg

I guess the turbines are more efficient, but the pointy nose looks ugly as hell.

Chimbu chuckles
24th Jun 2005, 04:26
In my Bonanza I have a Garmin 340 audio panel...at the push of a button I can isolate the two front seats from the rear 4 intercom wise...thus precluding anyone interrupting comms...the 4 in the rear can still talk via intercom to each other...tis just one of many great features the unit has...as for swimming headseats...make the pax go fetch:E

Northern Skies
30th Jun 2005, 15:31
What do you mean, poofy turbines?!

Ours has a 1000hp radial with a DC-3 prop!

sounds like a harley convention, and shakes your teeth loose after a few hours.

Cheers!