PDA

View Full Version : ATC visit to carrier?

AerBabe
17th Jun 2005, 20:59
I hope someone here can help ...

I'm adult staff with the ATC and would love to take some of my squadron to have a look round a British aircraft carrier. Firstly, is this at all possible? Secondly, who would I need to contact?

Thank you!

snafu
17th Jun 2005, 21:16
AerBabe

Your best bet would probably be to try and get in touch with the PR Officer on board one of the two CVS that are currently at sea. Write a letter explaining who you are and what you want to do and send it to:

Public Relations Officer
HMS ILLUSTRIOUS
BFPO 305

or

Public Relations Officer
HMS INVINCIBLE
BFPO 308

With any luck, they may be able to help you out.

AerBabe
19th Jun 2005, 21:05
Thanks very much - I'll let you know how we get on...

sycamore
19th Jun 2005, 21:32
A-B, Ithink you should ask to have a visit to the ``crows nest`........:oh:

Another St Ivian
19th Jun 2005, 22:12
AB; Really try to push for it! While I was in the ATC we visited HMS Illustrious in dock while it was undergoing a major refit.
It was an extremely good tour, very interesting, and a great insight. A thoroughly good day out for the cadets.

ASI

Oggin Aviator
20th Jun 2005, 05:34
Good places to ask to see ....

Bridge (nice view)
Ops Room (dark and mysterious)
Main Machinery spaces (size does matter)
Wardroom (big bar)
Hangar (again size does matter, but then again have you seen the size of the hangar deck on a CVN :eek: )
Secondary steering position down aft down low (if you can find it)
Quarterdeck (perfect for Pink Gins or some Pimms)

You'll have an interesting and fun time ......

.... and they may even show you where the Golden Rivet is :E

Oggin

AerBabe
20th Jun 2005, 07:24
Sycamore - From hen house to crow's nest eh? Just you wait! :p

Oggin Aviator - For some reason I'm a little suspicious... Thanks for the sensible list of suggestions though. I visited HMS Belfast last week and was very impressed. I hope the Sea Cadets based there are aware of how lucky they are.

EZY433
20th Jun 2005, 09:29
Aerbabe,
If you get no joy from the PRO, contact the:

Flight Deck Officer
HMS ILLUSTRIOUS
BFPO 305

He is a top bloke and will be more than happy to organise a visit for you.

richlear
21st Jun 2005, 00:39
I arranged a visit for some of our cadets to HMS Richmond when she visited Aberdeenn recently - we were looked after really well and were even invited back to FOSNI's cocktail reception

Aerbabe - I contacted our local PR officer based in Rosyth. Got our WAdO to write a begging letter and that did the trick.

PM me if I can help

cheers

Rich

SASless
21st Jun 2005, 03:39
On an American fleet carrier...the Focastle (being Army forgive the spelling) the room up front where the anchor chains and winches are located.....is quite a sight too. Very...very...neat and spiffy place. The Brig aboard ship is a sobering place as well.

No bending over looking for the Golden Rivet either....

airborne_artist
21st Jun 2005, 05:39
Focastle (being Army forgive the spelling)

It's forecastle - pronounced fo'c'sle.

You may still have time to visit the International festival of the Sea (http://www.festivalofthesea.co.uk/wo_military_displays.aspx) at Portsmouth 30/6 - 3/7