PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter which plane you do a FI rating in

tunalic2
16th Jun 2005, 13:36
What are peoples opinions on the type of aircraft to choose to do the instructors rating in?

Does it matter?

I know that you will have to adapt to your schools fleet but wondered if you for instance learnt in a C152 whether you would find it easier to transfer to a PA28 or the other way round.

I can see that a higher powered plane would put you back at the height you were before a stall or spin quicker so balancing any cost disadvantage.

Maybe I have missed some other points that are obvious I am sure you will let me know

T2

FlyingForFun
16th Jun 2005, 15:31
I don't think it makes any difference at all. I did my FIC in a Warrior, and have given instruction in Warriors, various different Cessnas, and Robins. The techniques I learnt on the course work equally well on all aircraft.

It does take just a little while to get to know an aircraft well enough to instruct in it well, though, so if you have a potential job lined up, it might be a good idea to train in the aircraft you will primarily use in your job. Otherwise you will spend the first few hours of instruction learning as much as you are teaching your students, and maybe not giving the students the best value possible.

The only thing to watch out for is that some aircraft (e.g. the Warrior) can't be spun. Since spinning is a required part of the course, you might have to find another aircraft for the day, just to do the spinning. This didn't cause me any problems on my course, though.

FFF
-------------