PDA

View Full Version : MIMO, SuperG and Pre-N Chipsets

Herc Jerk
16th Jun 2005, 05:53
Am in the market for a wireless router- have been out looking and even had a few in my grubby little hands, but have aborted the buy at the last minute. Seems the more i learn, the less i know....

Have a sparkly new HP Pavillion ZD8000 laptop which has a Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN card installed and i am looking to take advantage of the MIMO/G+/Pre-N/Xpress technology offering over the 54mbps G mark- may as well if i can.

BUT i seem to get the impression that to do this i must keep the chipset manufacturers the same... is this the case?

Or can i go go out and buy a DI624G+ router (atheros chipset) or the latest PreN Belkin router (the one with 3 antennae) (chipset unknown- although the older model used a broadcom chipset) and expect to get the most of this MIMO speed/range?

Thanks for the help in advance- any recommendations re routers etc will be gratefully received!!

HJ

boeingbus2002
16th Jun 2005, 22:16
I was in a similar position this week too!
I have been looking around and found out (I could be wrong)...that the higher speed routers will only work if you have the equivalent on your system.
Therefore if you are using Belkin's High Speed Mode ADSL/Router your all your laptop/computers will need the High Speed Mode Card/USB adaptor fitted. If going one step higher using Pre-N, the same applies. Buying one of these routers and making no provision on your laptop will just make it operate at standard 54Mbps.

I decided the i didnt need such a high speed transfer between the networked systems and just ordered the standard ADSL Wireless Router. Still waiting for it to arrive so cant comment if i was right or wrong!!