PDA

View Full Version : NFC EIWT Ireland???

Ei-MPB
16th Jun 2005, 01:28
Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with the National flight centre in weston?? I am a brand new student and had booked myself in for a fairly full time ppl when I broke my arm!

I live in artane and it is the most local FTO available to me, and I'd really like to hear oither peoples opinions of them from 0-atpl!

thanks,

M!

P.s I have the cash and I\'m going to do the ATPL distance learning with Pan Aviation as they are also local to me, so any thoughts on them would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

M

Squak2002
17th Jun 2005, 00:53
Might be worth having a look at PTC in Waterford for some of your training. What are the prices for the 0- ATPL with NFC??

Many thanks,
john

FireFoxDown
17th Jun 2005, 06:46
Also NFC are the modular option - have you considered going down the integrated route?

The thing I would say about NFC (and it applies to other similar FTO's) - find a good instructor and stick with them. For a long time I had a different instructor every time I turned up which is good to start with but in the end you need continuity of training.

conor_mc
18th Jun 2005, 15:17
Try Skytrace at EIWT also - they're a sister company of PTC in Waterford. I started my PPL at NFC but didn't fancy squeezing into a C150/152 - I'm a bit too lanky for that! Skytrace have 2 Robin R2160's, they're much more fun to fly than Cessna's. Low wings so better all-round vis, more cockpit space, more power (160HP engines) but they're a bit more expensive than NFC's 152's - but cheaper than the 172's.

I had trouble getting booked in with a regular instructor at NFC - from what I've read here that's a common complaint. At Skytrace, 90% of my flying has been with the same instructor - but I also think its good to occasionally (1 hr in 8-10 maybe) fly with a different instructor, just to broaden your experience a bit.

The connection with PTC is also a good point for me. Do a search here for feedback on them and you'll find a lot of happy customers.

Boeing737
19th Jun 2005, 16:17
Ive started my ppl training there and i have no complaints. Im happy with the instruction and it is the most local to me too. FireFox has hit the nail on the head. Stick with the one instructor, as every instructor will have his own teaching methods (They maintain student records there that record exactly what you training you have completed to date, so any instructor can pick up your student record and know exactly what has to be done which is nice and efficient.Its a completely different setup to what it was when i flew out there 5 years ago in 2000 before the NFC established itself, much more professional now).

When i complete a lesson, i simply make a booking for the next one there and then. All i say is "can i book a lesson for next week, and can you stick me down with X".
Best of luck, and i hope to see you around out there,
take care.

Im also gonna say this: Watch out for that bloody M50, it can become gridlocked about 4 km out from the toll bridge, just as you pass the turn off for blanchardstown. Try to avoid lessons that will require you to shoot down the M50 around rush hour. I need to get a map out and have a look at the backroads to try and bypass the toll bridge, Euro3.60 for each round trip builds up! :} :ok:

Flex_Thrust
20th Jun 2005, 00:32
Only done a few hours there - just seeing how I like this before I go to Jerez. I'm early 30's so the integrated is the better option. They havn't had the previously mentioned training log books for a while so nothings going in there - shouldn't 'run out' of essential stationery like that. Considerable difficulty getting same instructor. The booking sheets come out every once in a while for the next few weeks, due v soon in fact, so you book your instructor well in advance to avoid the problem. 2/3 are ok - beware those working there for hour building purposes as they work toward an airline job - they don't get any time in their logbook for ground briefs so just want you to go flying. But the briefs are an ESSENTIAL part of your training. I will insist from now on, I'm paying them for it. Friend of mine worked there before going to Ryanair and wouldn't recommend them as they don't have as much interest in their students as perhaps they should for a 'professional' training outfit.

Ei-MPB
4th Jul 2005, 20:41
Thanks For all the advice Lads!!! I'll report back my thoughts on them when I start my flying with them!

Cheers,

Marc.