PDA

View Full Version : Adventia - ICAO ATPL Conversion

fsrmg1
16th Jun 2005, 00:12
Hello,

I’m currently looking into having my FAA or CASA ATPL converted to a JAR ATPL. Since I’m not typed in heavy metal, I have to do it the long way. I’ve been looking around and have come up with at school in Salamanca Spain called Adventia, who is offering an ICAO ATPL conversion. The course is done on site, including 400 hours ground (plus writtens) and 10 hours flight (plus check ride). Cost is about 6k Euro for single engine or 7k for twin and takes about 3 months to do. This seems to be about the most condensed and cost effective course that I’ve been able to locate so far.

Does anybody know anything about this school or have any experiences with them that they would like to share? It looks like they may be state run and do quit a bit for training for SAS, Spanair and Iberia…

The only problem that I see, is that they only run this course on demand and have a minimum number of students required (15-20) to attend before they will run it. They were to run one starting this July, but due to low enrolment, it was cancelled (bummer). I’m interested in taking this course and I know another. I’m sure that there are a number of others out there who also may be interested. If we can get together a group large enough, I think that they’ll run a course for us this autumn…

Are there any takers out there willing to pool together and help? Here is a link to the school:

http://www.adventia.org/indexe.htm

P.S. I forgot to add that they also do ICAO CPL conversions too!

fsrmg1
17th Jun 2005, 03:58
G'day

Just a quick update. I've been in contact with other individuals who are interested in this. I've going to try and get the latest fees from Adventia on the course options along with what is and what is not covered by these fees. I'll also try and work out some accommodation options with expected cost. This will give you a better idea as to the true total cost for the course, including all training, exams and boarding.

Also, I'm going to ask about a group discount if we can get the numbers together. If you are interested, let me know and I'll try and coordinate it as a group.

Dick Whittingham
17th Jun 2005, 08:53
fsrmg - check your PMs.

Dick W

fsrmg1
18th Jun 2005, 00:33
G’day,

Here is the latest information on the ATPL conversion that I received from Adventia. I was told that they are willing to run this course if I can get 6 people together and that they were willing to run it at anytime. They will also run it with less people, as long as the group is willing to pay the minimum of 6 placements.

This course provides you with a Spanish ATPL, which is readily convertible to the JAR ATPL.

In order to convert you must already posses an ICAO ATPL and current class 1 medical certificate. These must be proven in the form of showing them your actual license, logs and medical certificate. You’ll use these to obtain a Spanish special foreign type PPL license, which will allow you to later take your required check rides.

In order to waive the MCC requirement, you must have at least 500 hours as pilot in a multi crew aircraft. I was told that this included both PIC and SIC in any multi crew operations from light twins on up (i.e. C402, PA 31, B1900, etc…). Again, you must provide your logs and any flight ops records to demonstrate this.

Once you arrive in Spain, you’ll have to obtain a Spanish class 1 medical. Your current medical does not count for a Spanish ATPL, but is required while you use your special foreign license during checking and training. You will however need the Spanish medical for your check rides as you obtain your Spanish licenses and ratings.

The program goes like this:

400 hours of ground instruction (lecture and computer based self-study) at approximately 5 hours per day. The overall course duration can be cut down a bit by putting more time into the self-study.
14 exams in 9 subject areas spread out over the course (CAA fee of 65.06 Euro per ‘subject area’).
Expect 3-4 months to complete this.

Once this is done, you have two options for the flight portion:

A) 10 hours in a Bonanza for your IR(A)/SE and CPL(A) training. (5710 EURO)
B) 5 hours in Bonanza for CPL(A) and 5 hours in Baron for IR(A)/ME (6510 EURO)

Expect 2-3 weeks to complete this

(Note that these amounts do not include the aircraft hire or examiner fees for the check rides, approx. 1:30 hr examination at 540 SE and 850 ME each)

Also, while attending this course, you will have unlimited free access to a basic multi simulator (Frasca or ATP).

Total cost will be:

Class 1 Spanish Medical: est. 200 EURO
Books and Study Material: ? not sure if they are included or not ?
Written Exam Fees: 65.06 x 9 = 585.54 EURO
Tuition: SE 5710 or SE/ME 6510 EURO
Check Ride: SE 540 x 2 = 1080 or SE/ME 540 + 850 = 1390 EURO
TOTAL: SE 7575.54 or SE/ME 8685.54 EURO

Full residential boarding w/meals and transportation is 600-650 EURO per month or you can lease a two bedroom flat for 600-650 per month and share expenses.

NOTE: I’ve been told that all the aircraft hire prices are under again review. I would expect that with the current high price of oil, they will be adjusted upward.

That’s it for now. I’ll check to see what sort of books and study material are required and or come with the course.

Sounds pretty good to me so far. Any takers yet?

fsrmg1
19th Jun 2005, 23:56
G'day,

Just a few more titbits that I left out of the last post.

If you do not already have a type in a JAR-25 Multi Crew Aircraft, this course will only give you a frozen APTL, until such time as you get your type.

Also, if you only wish to take the ground training portion for the ATPL conversion, it goes for 3,010 EURO (plus exam fees)

I'm still waiting to hear on what books and material go with the course tuition. I'll post this as soon as I get it.

fsrmg1
23rd Jun 2005, 01:56
Another update for you.

All the books and study matterial are covered under the course tuition.

Also, here is a list of the new aircraft hire fee rates.

Ground course, same at 3010 EURO
Option A (SE) at 3100 EURO
Option B (SE & ME) at 4000 EURO
Exam fees, same at 65.06 each (585.54 total)
Check ride with examiner 1:30 hours: SE 650, ME 900

Hope this info helps.