PDA

View Full Version : effectiveness of extinguishers

BigEndBob
15th Jun 2005, 20:42
Just read about the crash of DC-3 in Florida.
Apparently fires still going after using foam.
How good is it, what is your experience?

Did a one one day course at HG in the 90's.
Found that foam did not put out a fuel fire , probably due to poor technique used in laying down foam. Used water from green goddess, fire out in several seconds.

Had similiar experience with powder extinguisher in car starter motor fire...useless.
Bucket of water fire out in 1/2 second.

What would you want to be used in a fire situation on ground.

Have used used powder fire extinguisher on aircraft fire..seemed to work, be aware they only last about 4-5 seconds.

tonker
22nd Jun 2005, 13:35
At the end of my FI rating two instructors tried to put out 1 gallon of avgas in a BBQ type container.

The powder didn't really make any difference as did the water, the Halon did after a lot of work get the job done, only 99 litres to go me thought.

Regards Tonker

Maude Charlee
22nd Jun 2005, 18:22
Never had a problem with dry powder. Works perfectly well on several gallons of jet fuel (during recurrent fire training at least), and the one time I ever used it in anger on a fellow motorists engine fire, it worked just fine. Handy tip number 357: try to stand upwind if you can, and never get down to the level of the radiator grill when preparing to fire under the bonnet.:ooh:

It's my weapon of choice.

BillieBob
22nd Jun 2005, 22:26
Pity about this (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4_512.pdf) then...

Dusty_B
23rd Jun 2005, 09:03
Took my space cadets out for a tour of our local Defense Fire Service unit. At the end of the standard "fire extinguishers and how/when to use them" brief (water, CO2, foam, Dry Powder variants), I stoody up and said - trying to prompt the fireman,
"Of course, as Air Cadets, there is one other type of fire extinguisher that you will come accross in your activities - it is not generally available (indeed, it is now illegal except for use in aircraft)... It has a green label. Any one know what it is?"

The chief stared blankly at me, open mouthed.

He had no idea we still used halon, wondered why we couldn't use CO2 or dry powder...

Maude Charlee
23rd Jun 2005, 16:31
BB

Didn't realise we were talking about extinguishers for use inside the a/c, rather a more general discussion. I would hope nobody would try and blast away with a dry powder extinguisher inside the cockpit - instant IFR!

-IBLB-
23rd Jun 2005, 19:46
anyone else noticed that on some extinghuishers in small planes, for instance a C152 have instructions that state "pull pin, STAND BACK FROM FIRE 6FT, extinguish fire"? :confused:

Dusty_B
24th Jun 2005, 12:36
Which is why fire extinguishers always seam to be out of reach one strapped in: Stops you from using them and killing yourself!

BigEndBob
27th Jun 2005, 18:53
All the light aircraft i have ever been in except one had dry powder extinguishers.

So now it looks as though it shouldn't be used in the cabin.

What is wrong with a Halon, ok not ozone friendly but hopefully it will never have to be used in anger and get out into the atmosphere.