PDA

View Full Version : Late bloomer

sir.pratt
15th Jun 2005, 10:10
Hi guys. Would like some input. I'm 37, recently left a career of 13 years, have aircraft engineering qualifications and 170 recent hours PPL. I spoke today with the Flight Crew recruiter from the Air Force, and he was keen for me to apply. Now I don't want to set myself up for failure, but I am drawn to the flying that military does, and the security the mob offers.

I figure with an 06 intake, 3 years to graduate, 10 years contracted, I'm only 51, and got plenty of life left in me.

I'm fit, healthy, althletic, run 10k in 40 mins, so the physical side doesn't intimidate me.

Would appreciate some informed comment.

cheers

vecvechookattack
15th Jun 2005, 10:56
You may well be fit and healthy and could run rings around Sir Steve redgrave....BUT at 37 you've got no hope. sorry but yr a little too late. Unfortunately the armed forces is NOT an equal opportunities employer and are very ageist.

Arm out the window
15th Jun 2005, 12:28
Depends on the situation; don't be put off. The Aust Army, for example, has been known to take some old buggers such as yourself (no offence) and may still do so - check with recruiting.
Crazy not to have a go, don't die wondering.

cazatou
15th Jun 2005, 12:36
vecvec,

I never realised that you were also an expert on Dominion Air Forces recruiting policies!!

vecvechookattack
15th Jun 2005, 12:46
Following my exchange I was invited to join but declined due to their crap pension. However, I have heard that one bloke who emigrated and joined the RNZN following RN Redundancy has rejoined the RN.

So, Im more than familiar with their recruiting policies and would be extremely surprised if they were to start flying training on a 37 yr old student.

sir.pratt
15th Jun 2005, 20:08
there's september interviews, won't cost me anything. it'll be interesting to see what happens. i've just left the police (was a s/sgt) after 14 years, and a couple of guys on my section came out of college at 42 years - i don't think the ageist thing is as prevalent as it used to be

juliet
15th Jun 2005, 20:26
sir.pratt, check your PM's:D

vecvec, guess you're going to be surprised then

ImageGear
16th Jun 2005, 07:18
Someone from my entry in '67 was 41 and off the street.

Did'nt stop him playing a mean hand of basketball.

However he did grunt a bit on the "hill"

Imagegear.

Biggus
16th Jun 2005, 07:41
The RNZAF were over here recently recruiting, and although I didn't hear first hand, apparently they said that they have some people of worker bee rank who will be serving at the sharp end until their late 60s!

Not sure if anyone out their can confirm this?

P.S vecvec.... you have gone very quiet on the 'overstretch' thread!!