PDA

View Full Version : What is required for a CPL?

Tiger_ Moth
15th Jun 2005, 09:35
Hi, what are the basic requirements for your run of the mill CPL, no airline overtones or anything, just a basic CPL, so that you could then do an FI course and instruct or something?
And how much would it cost?

Is it about 150 or 200hrs + pass CPL ground exams?
Is there a "CPL" course? or is it just a case of getting enough hours, passing the ground exams and passing a flying exam?

Charlie Zulu
15th Jun 2005, 11:27
Hi Tiger Moth,

There are a number of providors who teach the CPL knowledge course, however off the top of my head I can't name any I'm afraid!

Anyway I believe there are 9 exams that you will need to pass and I would add that only do these 9 CPL exams if you have NO desire to work for the airlines or even to add a JAA IR to your CPL. If you'd like to add an IR or at a later date then you'll effectively be doing the exams all over again... The JAA ATPL exams would cover you for both the CPL and IR.

There isn't an Integrated course as such for a JAA CPL only. Integrated courses lead to the issue of a JAA CPL/IR with ATPL Knowledge.

Thus you shall be gaining the JAA CPL under the Modular route. This will require the following:

ICAO PPL.
200 Hours Total Time including 100 Hours P1.
JAA CPL or ATPL Knowledge Course and Exams.
JAA CPL Flight Course (25 Hours) plus Skills Test.

You'll also have to have the night flying requirement. If you do an FAA PPL then the night flying will be included. If however you do a JAA PPL then the Night qualification is extra but can be done at the same time as your JAA PPL.

You don't need the 200 hours before doing the Knowledge or flight course, but you will need the 200 hours total time when you apply for the licence. The 25 hour CPL Flight course plus skills test can count towards those 200 hours.

Disclaimer: I might be wrong in regards to the Integrated / Modular flying course element above.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Katamarino
15th Jun 2005, 16:23
SO if one has a medical restricting one to day flight only, that effectively means exclusion from any kind of commercial flying...?

redsnail
15th Jun 2005, 19:31
Not really.
You can instruct, glider tow, scenic flights and so on.