PDA

View Full Version : WW 1 Bi/Triplane sighting

Brooklands
15th Jun 2005, 09:26
On my way home from Booker last night, at about 20:30, I saw a WW 1 biplane/triplane*. I was drving along the B4009 towards Watlington (just south of the M40, and NE of Benson). It was heading roughly NNE, flying parallel to and just west of the Chilterns. I couldn't stop to get a better look as I was in traffic, but it looked like one the Shuttleworth Collections' aircraft, and was in the usual WW 1 colour scheme with a red cowl. Can anybody shed any more light on this?

Thanks
Brooklands

*I'm not certain now whether it was a biplane or a triplane I saw. When I initially saw it, almost head on, it looked like a biplane, but at some point as it passed me I categorised it as a triplane. As I think about it now, I'm tending back towards it being a biplane. It looked a bit like a Sopwith Pup.

Rallye Driver
15th Jun 2005, 11:02
They are making a WW1 film at Halton with a number of replica Nieuports, a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter and a Fokker Triplane. Shuttleworth have had their Brisfit there too. They are doing lots of repaints to make it look like there are more aircraft than there actually are. Looks fascinating stuff.

See this link on the Flypast forum for pics and more information:

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42169

RD :ok:

Brooklands
15th Jun 2005, 13:10
Ralley Driver,

Thanks - looks as though it may have been the 1 1/2 strutter I saw. I'd seen a NOTAM about filming at Halton, but didn't know the details

Brooklands