View Full Version : Dry Ice on Pax Airliners

punkalouver
14th Jun 2005, 22:04
Is it legal to carry in the galley?
Thanks.

Vee One...Rotate
14th Jun 2005, 22:39
Good question.

The obvious danger is that dry ice needs to be kept at something like - 80 C to stop the solid frozen CO2 sublimating into a gas...which of course is toxic to humans in large concentrations.

I'm reminded of an incident when a colleague was driving a van with some dry ice stored in the back - it was in several sealed bags in a normal freezer so was staying pretty frozen but enough gas must have seeped out to make the concentration in the (seperate) driver's cab dangerous as the driver came over a bit funny - lesson learned was to keep the windows open when transporting the stuff...!

V1R

lomapaseo
14th Jun 2005, 23:27
It's as about as toxic as the air that is breathed out by a few passengers, or did we have in mind a cargo compartment full.

I don't like my ice cream deserts in first class to be soupy.

punkalouver
15th Jun 2005, 00:10
No, I was just reading an article on the introduction of the A340-600 with its new galley chiller system designed for lower temps. They were having problems with it and for a while were using dry ice in the galley.

Old Smokey
15th Jun 2005, 03:11
We operate at a legal limit of 4 Kg of dry ice per galley, i.e. a total of 12 Kg in the passenger compartment on a B777. The limit in the cargo holds is 362 Kg. The limit varies for other aircraft types depending upon their size.

Regards,

Old Smokey

barit1
15th Jun 2005, 03:27
Would it make any difference where the outflow valve(s) are located? If the CO2 is ducted overboard in short order, it wouldn't make a dent in the O2 content in the cabin.

There are many worse hazards, methinks.

747FOCAL
15th Jun 2005, 05:20
Just don't throw it in the toilet unless you want to see what a blue volcano looks like..... :E

Flap Sup
15th Jun 2005, 09:07
Don't forget that IATA DGR manual states that every passenger is allowed to bring 2 kg of dry ice as handluggage ir checked bags.

If a cargo shipper wants to send 1 kg of dry ice to cool something down - its dangerous goods. If the dry ice is used to keep food cool in the pantry it isn't, but at least the quantity is known to the airline. But each passenger can bring 2 kg.....

/fs

oldebloke
15th Jun 2005, 19:16
I understand that the 'dry ice' has been used for ages since there was no 'fridges' on the A320..
Cheers..:ok: