PDA

View Full Version : Need help!

ceecl2
14th Jun 2005, 10:07
Hello all,

I am looking for a bit of help with a presentation that I have to give on the question:

"How was the RAF tactical air management and leadership changed by being embarked on RN carriers for a remote, non-Cold War campaign? Did this cause difficulty with the leadership of the strategic air power delivered from Ascension Island?"

I have been trying and will continue to try the net for information on this topic. The College Hall Library is a bit too far away.

Any ideas where I can get information on this topic?

JessTheDog
14th Jun 2005, 10:42
Who allocated the bizarre question?!?

Does Cranditz not subscribe to the ATHENA online web journal service? It really should do!

The College Hall library is also inconveniently close to the bar, and thus temptation...

I'd suggest the standard books by Sandy Woodward, Sharkey Ward and check out their references at the back for any follow-up texts - possible, but perhaps unlikely in a memoir. There is a book on the Falklands Air War but I can't remember the title and author - I saw it in an int cell somewhere (finger on the pulse etc).

Someone at Shriv, Kings College etc must have written a paper on the Falklands air war that is traceable.

Archimedes
14th Jun 2005, 11:05
Er.... actually, I don't think any of us have written anything like that :uhoh: (but there's a thought... :D )

As well as the standard ones noted (and taking care to negotiate the large chip that obscures some of Cdr Ward's work...)

Try getting hold of:

Rodney Burden et al - Falklands: The Air War (published by British Aviaition Research Group, now a bit difficult to find, by all accounts)

Chris Hobson - Falklands Air War (published by Midland Counties in 2002)

Sir John Curtis - 'The RAF contribution to the Falklands Campaign' in Naval Review, Jan 1983

Sqn Ldr Jerry Pook - Freestyle Mud Moving in the Falklands' in Air Clues, June 1988

Andrew Dorman (ed) - The Falklands seminar: a gathering of the senior commanders and politicians who directed the course of events of the Falklands War of 1982, (published by The Strategic & Combat Studies Institute, 2003).

SmilingKnifed
14th Jun 2005, 18:17
In addition, Max Hastings'/Simon Jenkins' Battle for the Falklands provides a good overview of the conflict.

I'd echo Archimedes' comments regarding the ego trip that is Sea Harrier Over the Falklands. Shame, as the subject matter is too interesting to be spoiled by personal vendettas and inter-service rivalry.