PDA

View Full Version : Sending smtp mail

stickyb
14th Jun 2005, 07:16
Having taken up temporary residence in Thailand for a while, I have finally managed to get an adsl connection installed on my telephone line.
However, seems like it is a "barebones" serviece - ie line only and nothing else - not even any support I can track down.

I want to use outlook to connect to my compuserve mail account - works fine for incoming messages but I can't send any mail. The compuserve smtp mail server won't let me connect because i am not on the compuserve domain, but have always got around this in the past in other countries because the isp provided an smtp mail relay that i could use.

So, what is the best advice? Is there a "free" mail relay server anywhere, or should i install an smtp server program on my pc?

drauk
14th Jun 2005, 10:45
You could run your own SMTP server, though you might find plenty of your mails not getting through to the intended recipients as some receivers will check ADSL-based servers, particularly those in Asia.

There are some cheap SMTP services available though. For example: http://www.authsmtp.com/auth-smtp/service.html

swh
14th Jun 2005, 12:16
Try advanced SMTP server, a program that runs in your system tray that will make your local machine a SMTP server, or Google mail GMAIL which allows you to smtp out.

:ok:

stickyb
16th Jun 2005, 02:26
Thanks drauk. followed your suggestion, works well