PDA

View Full Version : Archerfield GAAP proc's for VFR / IFR

ss_0001
14th Jun 2005, 05:03
Hi all,

I'm planning to fly from Longreach to Archerfield, likely afternoon on a Wednesday,

I've never been to AF and was wondering if the route I've chosen is considered reasonable or not?

I'm planning VFR LRE to Taroom, Amberley, Goodna, AF. Am I likely to have any problems getting a clearance through Oakey and Amberley if active?

Also, in VMC, if I was to plan IFR as per above, could I expect to be asked to track visual via Goodna?

thanks,

S

J430
14th Jun 2005, 05:41
The ATC at Amberley are pretty friendly, however if you wish to remain OCTA all the way, track in via ESK then either towards Dayboro or Caboolture direction and follow the VTC towards the VFR entry lane at the west of Mount Coot-tha, reporting "AT TV Towers at 1500'. This is pretty easy to find. Next reporting point is the bridgeover the river and on into YBAF. They guys at YBAF will be helpful especially if you declare you are not familiar with the airfield.

If cloud is low you can track from out near Kilcoy to Caboolture along the D'Agular Highway and then skirt through the north west of Brisbane that way.

Other options are to use YCAB (No fees) or YRED (almost no fees).

Cheers and happy flying!

J

Uncommon Sense
14th Jun 2005, 07:46
AMB is consistently active at the moment as a support base for the Talisman Exercise at Shoalwater - with a fair bit of activity.

Inbound via MLY will keep you clear of all that and if you stay in CTA you can request a vector towards TV towers.

Usually coming from AMB ATC expect you to be OCTA by the edge of MCTA - which is 3500 at the AMB/BN boundary and 1500 by Goodna. If the weather is marginal the RAD/NDB basically mirrors the AMB-AF track.

If unfamil just say so and you will get all the help you need from Brisbane Radar or Approach.

In VMC conidtions IFR aircraft are treated exactly the same as VFR - the only time you will get an IAL or Instrument Departure for AF is in IMC (or at night on Departure when AF is active - it closes at 1800 local, which currently is after last light - 1722 this week roughly)