PDA

View Full Version : Dead mouse in my system tray?

Keygrip
14th Jun 2005, 02:49
Strange things (stranger than a very strange thing) have started happening in my system tray.

The rodent is happy everywhere he goes - all over the screen - then, occassionally, when going for an icon in the system tray, the little "pop up titles" don't appear and neither the left nor right mouse button will work.

If I move across to the left a little (as the mouse TRACKING still works) I have full control - and can operate any button, link or icon on the rest of the screen.

I can even move the taskbar to another part of the screen. When I put it back where it belongs (at the bottom of the screen) the mouse will work in the system tray again. It will keep working for as long as it wishes - then fail again - but ONLY in the system tray....so I move the taskbar around again and fix it.

Desktop PC with XP Pro. No recent downloads, SP2 been running for months and months. Any thoughts?

SilentlyScreaming
24th Jun 2005, 11:08
Can you FULLY list what is displayed in system tray (if you have auto-hide turned on, click the little arrow pointing to the left) , and also , click Start, Run , enter "MSCONFIG", click OK, on to the startup tab, what is ticked there?

If none if these turn out to be culprits, might be worth going to task manager, clicking the processes tab, and sorting the processes by the CPU column, so the process suing most processor time is at the top of the list. Next time it mis-behaves, watch the list, and see if any process suddenly spikes its usage...

CosmosSchwartz
24th Jun 2005, 11:30
Dead mouse in my system tray? - Just tip it in the bin and get a new one:}

Sorry :O