PDA

View Full Version : Quanta SBW-081/NE-02C Does not recognise CD-Rom disks

BoeingBoy
13th Jun 2005, 20:26
Hi all,

I have just donated my old Medion 9783 Laptop to a family member and found that the QSI SBW-081/NE02C DVD/CD-RW combo drive fails to recognise any form of CD-ROM disk, it will recognise and play audio disks and DVD's but when a CD is put in it merely whisks up to speed and fails to read. This is accompanied by a 'clacking' sound seemingly from the reader hitting some form of stop. No clicking on the drive is available. I did get the contents of one MS Worksuite disk to show but but nothing else works.

Medion, and the QSIinc web site tell me the drive is clapped but that they can't replace it.

Searching the web produces lot's of pages all complaining of similar problems, but no fixes. It appears that many manufacturers all use this drive, and later models. However even the later -241 seems to have similar problems.

Can anyone suggest a fix, or a suitable replacement and a source of purchase.

If I can't replace it then I suppose an external burner would be the way to go.

BOAC
14th Jun 2005, 07:20
Morning BB - check this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=174980) too! I'm STILL waiting for an answer from LG but will try the 'friend's copy' routine when we both have time.