PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a pilot

Fishers_Webb
13th Jun 2005, 15:19
I am only 15 but I’m interested in becoming a pilot later on in my life and I figure I should start looking in to what I will need to do to become a pilot???

fortuna76
13th Jun 2005, 15:20
Have Loads of money is a good start!

adnaan786
13th Jun 2005, 15:57
You don't necessarily need a lot of money as you can always take out a loan, but it may help to start saving up watever u can.

Have a trial lesson to see if u really like it, and also to get an idea of whether u can do it. It will cost u around £100-£150 for an hour, but it's a good investment to make.

Fishers_Webb
13th Jun 2005, 16:11
I’m more of looking down the line of educational requirements???

crap pilot
13th Jun 2005, 16:21
Have you thought about flying for the military? Its a good career and they pay you to train instead of the other way around and if its not for you, you can leave after around 6 years and will stand a very good chance of future employment with an airline(probably alot better than if you pay for you own training).

For this you need 5 GCSEs (including maths, english and science) and 140 points at A level (2 good A level passes). You dont need a degree but it would probably help.

Why dont you try the cadets to see if you would like the lifestyle? they would also be able to give you alot of information on becoming a pilot and may even give you some free flying hours.

GusHoneybun
13th Jun 2005, 16:22
Well, if you going to pay yourself through training then you don't need any. Although a basic understanding of maths and physics will help through your ATPL's.

If you are looking to be sponsored, then look to get at least two decent A levels as this seems to be the benchmark. In your case, get you head down at school, pass your GCSE's and A-levels. Three years is a long time in this industry so sponsorships (if they still exsit) will be probably a whole lot different to todays.

Alternately, you can look to join Betty Windsors flying club. Get to fly some very interesting types, but your subscription can last for well over 10 years.