PDA

View Full Version : Independent Advice

infodeck
13th Jun 2005, 14:44
I have been looking for a flight training school to study for my JAA CPL ME IR frozen ATPL. I think over the course of many months have spoken to and visited many schools, and each one gives me different advice on how best to acheive my goal of becoming an airline pilot. With £60,000.00 in the bank ready to commence my training this year, I would really like to speak to someone who is completly independent from any school, before commiting. Does anyone know if there is such a person or organisation?

2close
13th Jun 2005, 15:49
infodeck,

This may seem a tad obvious and my apologies if you've already been down this road but the first thing to do before spending any large amounts of cash is to get yourself to Gatwick and get a Class One Medical.

Regardless of whether you believe you are medically sound, make sure there aren't any less obvious problems (of which you may not be aware yourself - it would not be the first time) and get that bit of paper in your hand.

Good luck with everything.

2close

GusHoneybun
13th Jun 2005, 15:59
Well, one thing is for sure, is that you will be hard pushed to get a independent view on this forum.

You could try and talk to GAPAN or BALPA for some impartial advice. However, I am not sure that they would know how to advise you. Many people have asked the same question before about whether to go integrated or modular, full or part time, UK or the states. The right answer depends on your personal circumstances and only you can truly answer this. Horses for courses 'n all that.

The best impartial advice I can give you, is to get hold of a book by Clive Hughes that outlines all the possible ways and means to get from Zero to fATPL. This book is written as a guide, not as sales blurb. Once you have read this from cover to cover, you will have a much better view of the pro's and con's of each method and as a result should be in a much better position to decide how to best spend yer wonga.

Remember that all the schools you visited want your money and will promise you the earth to get the mits on you dosh. Beware!

Send Clowns
13th Jun 2005, 16:24
Find as many schools as you can that you think you might like (look at Doc 31 on the CAA website for a list) (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=175&pagetype=90&pageid=2863), then visit them all! I work for an FTO, so that is not impartial advice at all - part of the reason I give it is that we are not one of the largest, so people who only look at a few might miss us out, but take it or leave it on those terms :D

Best of luck, wherever you end up!

cartoon ranger
13th Jun 2005, 17:20
Hi infodeck,

I am in a very similar position to yourself and trying to come to the nightmare decision. Some of my considerations are based, obviously, on reputation and value for money, but I would also hunt these forums and try and distinguish the sensible comments and practical advice as well as their authors. Personally, just looking at the comments made by Send Clowns above he may be a person you could PM for help.

Ensure you visit all the schools you are considering too. This is a basic rule i suppose, as you'd never buy a car you'd never seen But further to that, make sure you spend considerable time at the place, taking in as much as you possibly can. Human nature can tell if a place feels right.

The modular/integrated route is probably the big question. The pro's and con's for both have been addressed here time and time again but your personal circumstances have not, so again carefully navigate the forums to try and find helpful comments which are constructive not destructive.

My circumstances have changed recently, as i have found out the a former colleague of mine has a job at a training school which has been high on my list. Luckily i trust this chap implicitly so i value his opinion very highly which may be a deciding factor on where my money is spent. If you know someone, somewhere in a position of knowledge, try and dredge them for everything you can.

Finally don't start throwing the 60K around lightly. Treat it with the upmost respect and it will make a lot of the decisions for you.

I know i am not in a position to tell you what is going to be the best way for you but this is how i am going about it and i know it is installing a confidence in me that will take away a lot of nagging doubts when it comes to the really hard bits

Regards

Ranger

infodeck
13th Jun 2005, 17:55
I really appreciate all your advice - thank you for taking the time to reply. I can not believe that there is no independent advice available for such an important area - life decisions and lots of money!! There is such a big market out there of people like myself who just want the best advice when looking to book your place on a training course. You have a mountain of choices when you are looking to book your holiday - it seems that we could all do with a genuine consultant - I don't know about you, but I would gladly pay for this - one person we could all put our trust in!!