PDA

View Full Version : Prime Minister's Aircraft

A300Man-2005
13th Jun 2005, 10:38
Noticed on BBC last night that Tony used a BA A320 for his flight into Moscow and, one would assume, will use the same for his current tour of Europe.

Does BA have a spare craft in every fleet size for such ad-hoc and sudden VIP movements, or are the aircraft just pulled from mainline as and when?

Also, how is it configured internally - will it just operate on this short haul flight with the standard BA interior, or is it reconfigured for VIP use?

Not so much of a problem on a mainline 777, which is already somewhat "plusher" at the front end. But, not so sure as to how the standard 320 would suit such an operation.

Just curious.

MarkD
13th Jun 2005, 13:21
No doubt the US Trade Representative will present this as another example of how Britain subsidises Airbus :hmm:

Anyway shouldn't President Tone be flying VS since the Bearded One claims they are Britain's "flag carrier"? :p

The A319CJ was offered to Ireland when shopping for a new Government jet - maybe UKPlc should buy a few of those to replace the 146 fleet and some 330Ks instead of faffing around with putting them on the never-never rather than borrow BA's planes all the time. Doubt Willie Walsh will be as interested in a K as Sir Rodney is.

Mark Lewis
13th Jun 2005, 13:43
The scheduled evening BA flight to Moscow is an A320, maybe he went scheduled, he does do it occassionally!

Damienmk
13th Jun 2005, 13:59
Last year Tone went to Bermuda for his holidays. He purchased a World Traveller ticket, but the cabin was "insufficient" for his security needs according to his Special Branch bodyguards, so he was bumped up into World Traveller plus. Whenever he travels on "personal" business he always buys an economy ticket. He believes he's still "a man of the people" and we all love him so he can mingle with the rest of us plebs.

As for "official" business, I can't comment. I haven't worked in "that environment" for a few years now!

WHBM
13th Jun 2005, 14:15
Wonder if he has to make do with the Deli Bag and is seated in 23E between his two burly security men ?

sky9
13th Jun 2005, 15:11
I would ahve thought that he would buy a world traveller knowing that BA wouldn't dare to leave him among the "great unwashed".

Farmer 1
13th Jun 2005, 15:26
Reminds me of Harold Wilson when he was P.M. He had a home on the Isles of Scilly, and he flew there and back in a Sea King, courtesy of the Royal Navy. When asked why he didn't use the scheduled S61 service out of Penzance, thereby saving the taxpayer a lot of money, he insisted he paid the full fare, so the taxpayer was not losing out.

I believe the full fare at the time was £12.00.

That's all right, then.

WHBM
13th Jun 2005, 15:43
but the cabin was "insufficient" for his security needs according to his Special Branch bodyguards, so he was bumped up
Ah yes, the same security concerns that mean he can't go in from Heathrow to London among all the traffic queue caused by matey Prescott's bus lane on the M4, but has to go serenely in the ministerial limo down said bus lane.

Airbus Unplugged
14th Jun 2005, 06:07
Just goes to show that the management can be persuaded to come and fly! Shame it's not at the weekend when they're force drafting every other poor sod.

Still, they've all got to get their knighthoods as well:rolleyes:

Curious Pax
14th Jun 2005, 10:38
Listened to an interview on Radio 5 this morning with a reporter covering this mini tour. He was on the tarmac at Luxembourg where Tony was stopping for 2 hours. He apologised for the background noise, which was due (he said) to the pilot leaving the engines on as it was such a short stop! It's spelt A...P....U...!

Fried_Chicken
14th Jun 2005, 15:08
Just out of interest, if the Government did put some money up for the aquistition of a long range aircraft for flying members of the Government/Royal Family ("BlairForce1" as its so often named in the media), what type would they go for? Presumably it'll be operated by 32sqn at Northolt rather than a Civilian operator.

Presumably the aircraft in question would either be the A319 or a B737 or something smaller like a BD700 (Global Express) or a Gulfstream 550.

All four aircraft types are presently in use with various Air Arms around the globe with the Global Express (ASTOR) shortly to enter service with the RAF

FC

MaximumPete
14th Jun 2005, 15:20
The Blair aircraft is funded by the journos' newspapers coughing up to travel on the bandwaggon.

It also looks good when your PM polls up in Paris in a BIG aircraft, keeping his ego somewhere in the stratosphere.

Big plane, little ******* ?

MP;)

pax britanica
14th Jun 2005, 15:48
Max Pete

Why so shy about completing your Big plane... couplet -whats offensive about "big plane little brain" , or have I missed something
PB

Copenhagen
14th Jun 2005, 16:57
This big plane small brain discussion has some truth in it.. .just look at the proof....

Tony Blair flies in an A320...
George Bush flies in a ??????

MarkD
14th Jun 2005, 17:22
Fried Chicken

SH - BD700 (presume Shorts builds some of that) or A319CJ with IAE engines.
LH - A330K with Trents.

Why buy a 737 with GE/Snecma engines when the Yanks are doing their best to prop up the KC-767 by legislating Airbus out of the bidding?

Jordan D
14th Jun 2005, 20:42
I thought the plan was to buy him a A300 thing .... who knows. Who frankly cares.

It also appears the monarchy travels by scheduled - certain member in waiting to the throne (not Charlie-boy) was in biz on the way to Portugal with my uncle ... apparently security can be quite nice and friendly once they've assertained you aren't planning on killing their protectee.

Jordan

keel beam
14th Jun 2005, 20:54
Noticed on BBC last night that Tony used a BA A320 for his flight into Moscow and, one would assume, will use the same for his current tour of Europe.

Sky News showed him boarding a B777 - must have been one hell of a rain storm to shrink it;)

John Eacott
15th Jun 2005, 00:37
I believe the full fare at the time was £12.00

It cost us about 10 times that to make a kennel for his bl**dy labrador: then he fronted up and refused to have his precious animal locked up for the trip. So it sat and piddled on the deck instead :rolleyes:

Many a wasted day spent during summer holidays sitting around on standby for the loony left ratbag, Wislon.