PDA

View Full Version : Licence issues???

nick14
13th Jun 2005, 10:17
Greetings,
I am currently hoping to do a CPL next summer after having built some hours. In order to build those hours i am planning to go to somewhere like Canada, US, or spain.

Will i have to convert my PPL to a canadian, US, Spanish PPL in order to rent their aircraft?

Is there any age limit in the other countries (being 18 at the time of visit)??

To go to America (or the other countries) will i have to get visa's and go through all the security checks?

Many thanks to anyone that can advise!!

Kindest Regards
Nick

GoldenMonkey
13th Jun 2005, 10:39
Nick

I can't speak for Canada or Spain, but I did go to the US for hour building last summer. I had a JAA PPL and the process was relatively straight forward. There was no visa required as I went for less than 3 months. You have to complete a form and fax through with copies of Passport etc, to FAA in Oklahoma (I think).
You also complete a form for the CAA and obviously give them some cash (£17 quid) so that they can release your records to the CAA.

I would recommend it. Different sort of flying. Different weather issues (hot and high). A good experience and a much cheaper way of building time.

Good luck

GoldenMonkey

YYZ
13th Jun 2005, 20:19
Hey,
I did my hour building in Canada, cost $45.00 (£20) and 20 minutes with Transport Canada to have my JAA License validated, "foreign license validation certificate".
This is valid for 12 months or until your medical expires.

Great place to fly if you get the chance, none of the problems you seem to get in the States?

I flew in Eastern Canada & contacted Hamilton Transport Canada’s offices, they were extremely helpful.

I have their contact details should you wish to pursue this avenue?
PM me if required.

Whatever you do, enjoy!

YYZ
:}

what who me?
13th Jun 2005, 20:55
Nick,

Why don't you try to get a licence first, before you start talking about conversion.

nick14
13th Jun 2005, 22:38
im planning ahead like all good pilots!!!