PDA

View Full Version : Sticky mouse

Special Limitation
12th Jun 2005, 22:53
Looking for a bit of help from one of you techies please. My PC runs as sweet as windows XP can, is fast and stable except for one minor but very irritating fault. About every 20 mins the mouse freezes for about 10 secs. I am very reluctant to start fiddling because whenever I do I manage to screw something up but would appreciate any advice as to what may be causing the problem.

Stoney X
13th Jun 2005, 06:43
I had a similar problem a while back. Thought I might have had a virus. Turned out my mouse's USB connection was a bit dodgy and the freezing was caused by windows losing and then regaining the hardware. Wiggling the connector a bit solved the problem. Do you by any chance hear a sound play when this happens? (Or are you going to tell me it's not a USB mouse?)

Regards
Stoney

Coconutty
13th Jun 2005, 17:44
When the mouse freezes, is there any hard disc drive activity on your PC - if there is you should be able to hear the disc spinning and / or see the HDD LED flashing etc ??

If so, it could explain why the mouse freezes and could POSSIBLY be connected with the Windows file indexing service ( "Find Fast" in earlier Windows versions ).

Try disabling the Windows Indexing service temporarily to see if it makes any difference :

Double Click "My Computer"
Right click your "C:" drive.
Click "Properties" and then
Clear the tick from the check box for "Allow Indexing Service to index this disc for fast file searching"
Click "Apply" and close the window.

Hope this helps.

If it doesn't then you can always re-enable the service.

:ok:

Coconutty,

Special Limitation
13th Jun 2005, 20:14
Sorry guys I should have said the mouse is a logitech wireless rollerball with the wireless trans/rec going into a USB port. I have plugged it into another port on your suggestion but it did not cure it and during the freeze all is quiet from the hard drive. I have always had pretty good virus protection which is regularly updated so I am as sure as you can be it is unlikely to be a virus.

Special Limitation
18th Jun 2005, 17:39
With regard to my original problem, when I checked inside my computer case I found the chipset fan had failed. I have replaced this and now all seems to be well, so I guess the problem was a hot chipset. Just to let you know for future reference, and thanks for your suggestions.