PDA

View Full Version : "Read Only" files on CD's

Hew Jaz
12th Jun 2005, 22:11
I copied some of my own photos and a couple of word documents to a CD-RW - total of about 20mb on a 700mb.

I now want to re-use the cd, but am unable to move the files due to them being "read only". I'm not aware of specifiying that attribute. However, I can't move or delete the files. Nor can I write additional information to the cd as it suggests that there isn't enough room!

I've tried changing the read only status, but again the pc won't let me!

:confused:

Any suggestions??

Genghis the Engineer
12th Jun 2005, 22:40
I think you probably messed things up for yourself by not starting the CD in a format that allowed multiple use.

Best bet is probably just to reformat the CD - if you want to put the files back on, just do it via your HD.

G

Hew Jaz
16th Jun 2005, 21:48
Thanks Genghis,

But how might I have done that? How do I start in a multiple format?

I think what I did was to right-click, and send to Drive E - from my hd in the first place. It's only now that I want to copy the photos back onto my hd (and to reuse the cd) that I discovered the problem.

Cheers

F4Fan
17th Jun 2005, 07:33
Hi

Did you try opening the file and then try to "Save As" to you PC ?

You should really use the computers CD Software to write things like this. Copying as you did does not format the CD correctly to allow it to be RW.

I am surpirsed that it wont let you copy, is it definatley RW ?

Even a Write only allows you to copy files from it.

Hew Jaz
19th Jun 2005, 20:23
No, haven't tried that option yet, but will do.

The disk is definately RW, but it won't let me copy or re-write etc

I'm not sure the pc came/has the the relevant CD Software to write specifically to a CD - should it have..?

As I said, I just used right click, and send to....

Of course, my errors could explain why I can no longer write to a CD-RW which has only got 20MB on it with a capacity of what, 700MB.!

Cheers

HJ

SilentlyScreaming
24th Jun 2005, 10:55
Download a demo of nero (www.nero.com), try their InCD for packet writing, or normal burn for wider compatibility on other drives&sw