PDA

View Full Version : Air Crash Investigation Marathon

SkySista
12th Jun 2005, 13:43
Hey all,

For anyone that's interested, Foxtel will be showing 12 hours of ACI tomorrow.

By the looks of it, it's the first season, so there's something to be happy about.... :E

7.30AM Air Crash Investigation: Unlocking Disaster
Unlocking Disaster investigates how delays in fixing known design faults can have tragic consequences.

8.30AM Air Crash Investigation: Racing The Storm
Investigates the crash of Flight 1420 to Little Rock, could the pilots have made the bad decision to fly into the eye of a storm in the face of severe crosswinds?

9.30AM Air Crash Investigation: Fire On Board
What was the cause of the fire on Swissair Flight 111 and why did it spread so destructively so quickly?

10.30AM Air Crash Investigation: Flying On Empty
For large commercial jets, running out of fuel is a critical problem. When it occurs 85 nautical miles from the nearest land, it can end in catastrophe.

11.30AM Air Crash Investigation: Cutting Corners
Air Alaska Flight 261, the pilots struggle to control the nose-diving plane but it rolls and dives into the ocean. Uncover the story of how improper maintenance led to a fatal crash.

12.30PM Air Crash Investigation: Flying Blind
This is the story of what happens when simple human error causes the computers to fail, and the pilots are left Flying Blind in the dark.

1.30PM Air Crash Investigation: Blowout
Within minutes of take off a loud bang is heard in the cockpit of BA flight 5390. The windshield has blown out and the captain's body is plastered to the side of the plane. Will the co-pilot land safely? What caused the blow out?

2.30PM Air Crash Investigation: Wounded Bird
Investigates the dramatic ordeal of ASA Flight 529 as 2 pilots with 26 passengers onboard manage to defy the laws of gravity by flying the plane with only one good wing for nine minutes and twenty seconds.

3.30PM Air Crash Investigation: Hijacked
Details the tension felt on Christmas Eve in 1994 when four Algerian terrorists hijack a Paris-bound plane determined to get the world's attention.

4.30PM Air Crash Investigation: Flying On Empty
For large commercial jets, running out of fuel is a critical problem. When it occurs 85 nautical miles from the nearest land, it can end in catastrophe.

5.30PM Air Crash Investigation: Lost
Reconstructs the mistakes of two experienced pilots as they struggle with the state of the art automation of the Boeing 757 minutes before it crashes into the top of a mountain.

6.30PM Air Crash Investigation: Missing Over New York
Tension mounts in the cockpit, as Avianca Flight 052 circles over a foggy New York night running on alarmingly low fuel. Will it crash on the crowded city?

7.30PM Air Crash Investigation: Blowout
Within minutes of take off a loud bang is heard in the cockpit of BA flight 5390. The windshield has blown out and the captain's body is plastered to the side of the plane. Will the co-pilot land safely? What caused the blow out?

http://www.nationalgeographic.com.au/front_new/watch/default.asp?date=6/13/2005

Ultralights
12th Jun 2005, 14:01
gee, you would think the producer has something against air travel!

i dont even have foxtel, and i have seen the swissair one so many times i would rather go back and work for dixon!

sinala1
12th Jun 2005, 18:08
Dont have National Geographic so am going to miss it

:{ :{

OzExpat
13th Jun 2005, 03:11
It looks like 2 of those programs are repeats. The repeat at 16:30 is probably intended to allow time for a quick trip to the pub, while the 19:30 repeat is obviously intended to be used as the dinner break... :D Or maybe so that there's time for everyone to catch up on their note taking - there's bound to be an examination at the end. :uhoh:

It'll be interesting to see if airline bookings drop off after this marathon (BTW, that was a good choice of expression SkySista!). I tend to agree with Ultralight's comment about the motivation for this full day of disaster.

I think that there are lessons that we can all learn from these programs. But I think that 12-hours straight tragedy constitutes an attack on air travel.

Sunfish
13th Jun 2005, 21:34
These productions are extremely cheap and easy to make. That is there appeal.

There is about five minutes of simulator time and maybe one or two thirty second takes of an interview with a passenger or witness. The rest is stock footage or old media shots.

The script is taken from the accident report.

Howard Hughes
13th Jun 2005, 22:43
It'll be interesting to see if airline bookings drop off after this marathon

Surely you're kidding, nobody watches National Geographic....;)

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

astroglide
16th Jun 2005, 01:43
FO : "uh , captain , i think we've lost the left wing!"

CPT: "huh? who are you people?, what are all of these buttons doing
here? theres nothing in the manual about a left
wing at all .....MAYday... MAydaY... MMmamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

..............................end transmittion.............................................

tradgic

:E

blueloo
24th Jun 2005, 00:47
Dont suppose anyone had that magical 12 hour digital video recorder.......and managed to record every episode! ????

:} :} :}

EPIRB
25th Jun 2005, 13:19
Or if they're available on DVD for purchase?

Elvis the Spot King
21st Jul 2005, 14:10
So has anyone got a recording of the series they would care to share on DVD? For a fee? Come on, if I had Foxtel I would do the right thing and share.

Buster Hyman
22nd Jul 2005, 05:14
12 hours in front of the telly watching air disasters....Will SQ be showing this on their new live to air?